996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tip fail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bad107
When you say the latest valve bodies, what do you mean?

Whiteknight mentioned that he upgrades the oil lines..he said the TCU mod doesn't do much until you put bigger lines in.

Do you have a contact at MKB I can talk to about getting them to do my tranny?
Value Body = Switch Unit. This contains the solenoid values that control the pressure for shifting and so on. Porsche part number is 722 270 020 6.

Whiteknight knows his stuff. I am not sure which oil lines (cooler?) but unless to increase the tq limit in the TCU, it will trip codes.

To be clear, I don't have TCU upgrade for speed shift etc e.g. EVOMS. I am happy with shifting speed.

Did you know that you can activate maximum shifting speed by stamping on the kickdown twice in succession? You do that in D, and then you can leave it in D or put it into M.

Send me a PM and I can give you contact.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
it will not let me send you a PM lol

ben.danziger@gmail.com

is there any difference between upgrading a 996 or 997 tranny? whiteknight has not upgraded a 996 so he is being very fair to me.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
I am also talking with IPT

found this on their site...

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force. Clutch apply time is greatly reduced and inadequate, sluggish line pressure rise is totally eliminated (The valve body modifications performed by us are of a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere).
Hi Energy friction plates and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed in all shifting clutches.
New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations
Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping.
Cryogenic treatment is applied to input shaft and planetaries to eliminate stress related failure
Sun shell is heat treated to prevent stripping
Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation
Lock up system is revised to improve converter clutch application, clamping force and torque holding capacity.
Improved Design K2 Drum / Planetary Pilot Support System Installed
Upgraded Internal Electronics Installed
20 Element F1 Sprag Installed
Fully Compatible with most Aftermarket Electronic Enhancements
IPT’s proprietary package of modifications represents the most robust and capable W5A580 / 722.6 automatic gearbox configuration available anywhere

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
I am also talking with IPT

found this on their site...

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force. Clutch apply time is greatly reduced and inadequate, sluggish line pressure rise is totally eliminated (The valve body modifications performed by us are of a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere).
Hi Energy friction plates and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed in all shifting clutches.
New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations
Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping.
Cryogenic treatment is applied to input shaft and planetaries to eliminate stress related failure
Sun shell is heat treated to prevent stripping
Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation
Lock up system is revised to improve converter clutch application, clamping force and torque holding capacity.
Improved Design K2 Drum / Planetary Pilot Support System Installed
Upgraded Internal Electronics Installed
20 Element F1 Sprag Installed
Fully Compatible with most Aftermarket Electronic Enhancements
IPT’s proprietary package of modifications represents the most robust and capable W5A580 / 722.6 automatic gearbox configuration available anywhere
I was looking at the IPT Package but got a awesome deal from Barrington motorwerks. They are installing a reman'd trans with a warrenty of 2 years unlimited miles. They know my car is modified and willing to stand behind their trans. As far as I know its stock though.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
I was looking at the IPT Package but got a awesome deal from Barrington motorwerks. They are installing a reman'd trans with a warrenty of 2 years unlimited miles. They know my car is modified and willing to stand behind their trans. As far as I know its stock though.
Not to Jinx you and please don't get me wrong but:

1. Get it in writing.

2. Make sure the warranty includes labor to swap unlimited tiptronics.

We all know that unless the components are upgraded, they are just not made to handle the extra power and torque and it will be just a matter of time 'till it fails again. It also depends greatly on your driving style and with the above mods I doubt that you like to "baby" the car all the time. If it was me and the work would be done by anyone else than me ( I usually do everything myself) I'd rather spend the money "Up Front" and have a peace of mind and enjoy the car all season, than have the trans blow up during the summer and waste weeks waiting in line for the shop to take care of other "paying" jobs. Just my .02 cents.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
this is cut and paste from tiptronic information thread but applicable here. they are infact porsche speciallist but i presume most customers are not coming in wanting the 1000 newton special!! so if u are worried about them pullin ur tranny call and ask how many they have done. based on quote they pullin and puttin for the 1000$ diiference so they must be pretty confident. they offer a photo blog and youtube videos of your repair and for estimated 2000$ shipped tranny and 3000$ for in house removal/install and fluids and warranty i say its worth a try. it will most likely be my choice once its time for my tippy. they also estimate 185$ shipping

there is a place in Dallas with link freddiestransmissions.com These guys actually specialize in ZF and mercedes benz trannys which are the two you will find in your 911TT's, C4, and C4S. they claim they have rebuilt plenty. the trannys likely to be found are the MB's and are 722.6 possibly a 722.9 variant built by MB specifically for rear engine 4WD or there is also a ZF 5HP19HLA (i think more common in C4 and C4s). they can look up your likely transmission by vin# and production date found inside driver door. they ask that before contacting them to have a photo of your transmission pan and also try to locate your tranny casing serial number either on the driver or passenger side (mine was up high on driver side and i had to stick the camera up their and get lucky)

as you know the main problem regarding durability with the tip is the clutch packs and really not much else. they offer a special packing that allows more steel clutches to be placed in the critical areas. in addition, they are subject to electrical kit failure at some point http://www.freddiestransmissions.com...s.html#damages and have a soultion as well.

Regarding valve body and solenoid upgrades, they did not recommend this and claim that the the flash that is required when doing these can be hit or miss and really cause some serious damage. if you do desire this, they have some recommendations (in Dallas) but its discouraged and at your own risk.

they also claim that if you do desire an additional oil cooler it can certainly be accomidated but this is most likely an extreme condition.

i think if you take a look at their website you will be pleasantly surprised! their estimate for "soft rebuild' including overhaul kit with gaskets seals, etc, additional clutches for increased torque handling, and electrical kit upgrade is $2000 if you take/mail them the tranny and roughly $3000 if you take them the car (fluid service included).

they do not recommend "breaking" your transmission first! apparently once the clutches begin to slip, other more costly damage ensues rather quickly to other parts in the tippy.

i also talked with IPT they wanted $4650 for a similar build and $895ish for manditory torque converter rebuild or purchase new (otherwise no warranty). they do a valve body rebuild, pump, and extra clutch install (proprietary "in house" clutches)

on a side note for those who like to look may like these links!!
you might also like this all inclusive page on the 722.6 http://pdfcatch.net/ebook/722.6/ this whole page is nothin but technicals on 722.6 but check out this for sure http://www.ganzeboom.net/images1/ganzeboom/parts/Mercedes/722.6.pdf

also if you insist on it, I also found a place called valve body builder (very original) who install Sonnax upgrades into the valve body on these units. They dont offer any solution for the software upgrade tho.

i also found a guy who can do the torque conveter. when i told him my application he said "

Rick yes I would have to have your core just to get started. There are just too many different combinations, bolt patterns, and spline counts. We build converters that handle twice your HP so I see no reason we couldnt take care of your needs. Also I am sure we can save you around $500." he is at:
PTC Texas

817-563-5556 sarge@greatconverters.com

obviously its totally up to you guys!! iv spent a lot of time digging and unfortunately did not come up with any magic but i did find at least another alternative for us texas and surrounding folks. if you live up by IPT that may be the way to go. others praise MBK, so............?

if you do choose these guys tell em Rick from Houston sent ya!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
you will notice that IPT added a Porsche section to its website

Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
Ken/996ttalot,

You wrote: "If you upgrade the value body, and have a 2003+ tip car, then you have the latest TCU anyway. If you upgrade the clutches, then you need to modify the EEPROM for the tq parameter to increase it to whatever limit you know the new clutches will hold. Mine is set for 1300nm. It does hold because the same box is used in the R1000 Black AMG done by MKB recently which has 1012hp/1300nm tq."

Who modified the EEPROM? Do you know how it was modified? What was the costs to get it modified to deal with the increased torque limits?

Hector

Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
Ken/996ttalot,

You wrote: "If you upgrade the value body, and have a 2003+ tip car, then you have the latest TCU anyway. If you upgrade the clutches, then you need to modify the EEPROM for the tq parameter to increase it to whatever limit you know the new clutches will hold. Mine is set for 1300nm. It does hold because the same box is used in the R1000 Black AMG done by MKB recently which has 1012hp/1300nm tq."

Who modified the EEPROM? Do you know how it was modified? What was the costs to get it modified to deal with the increased torque limits?

Hector
Hector, the EEPROM on my car was modified by MKB directly. It was part of the deal for the box. However I will find out how much just the EEPROM costs to be modified. It shouldn't be too much. I also have my 5th gear increased to 6900 with DME set at least 200rpm above that.

6900rpm is the maximum limit in 5th gear you can go to whilst keeping the box safe.

Of course even if you get the EEPROM changed, you need to have the box stronger at least.
Regards Ken

Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
subscribed.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Good timing Dan!

Here are a couple pics from IPT...

I think the first one is of the burned clutches, but they don't look too bad, especially compared to BHT's

The second is of everything disassembled and cleaned up

More pics in the next day or two (new clutches etc...)

Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have something I will be working on really soon... So this is a good read

Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by vividracing
I have something I will be working on really soon... So this is a good read
PM me hint?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Hint - you are in the process of doing it now

Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Good timing Dan!

Here are a couple pics from IPT...

I think the first one is of the burned clutches, but they don't look too bad, especially compared to BHT's

The second is of everything disassembled and cleaned up

More pics in the next day or two (new clutches etc...)
Looks like you jumped on it just after it started slipping. Keep the pics coming, I'm curious how the basket looks like that is supposed to be machined.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tip fail...