996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

JIC Cross Suspension Installed - Rear Clunking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
JIC Cross Suspension Installed - Rear Clunking

Hi All,

I just had a set of used JIC Cross coilovers installed that I purchased from Al Norton. Great Porsche community member that helped me get all the things that I needed and spent the extra time to help me go through the install. I would vouch for this member anytime. After the suspension was installed by Eurotire (recommended by other members on this board and provided great service) I am getting clunking only in the rear of the car. I have read through posts and it seems that I am getting one of two answers. 1. This is normal for our cars because it is metal to metal contact between the pillowball mount and the frame of the car. 2. Tighten the main bolt and three bolts that hold the shock to the car.

My question is how can I tighten the main bolt and three separate bolts? What tools should I use? Do I need an impact wrench or is elbow grease enough? I have heard of people spraying WD-40, White Grease. Will a combination of these work? Do I need a torque wrench to tighten these bolts?

TIA

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
make sure the sway bar end links are tight. mono ***** should not make noise but transfer the noise better. I would take it back to the installer before messing with it yourself.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldnt worry about what tools you need. You should take it back to Eurotire who installed it and breif them on the problem, they might have a solution or use your suggestions. I had a similar problem when I installed my JIC's however it was in the front, and once i tightened the main bolt it was gone and has not came back.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
+1 clunk is not normal. Like already said, probably a sway link or something loose...

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Just for reference you should never use an impact gun on the main nut that holds the shock mount to the strut shaft on adjustable shocks - you can damage the adjustment mechanism.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Did you install adjustable rear sway bar drop links. This tend to transmit more noise.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Rear Adjustable Sway Bar Links were not installed. Could this perhaps be the source of the noise? I am using the stock adjustable sway bar links right now. Would swapping these out for adjustable sway bar links get rid of the noise?

TIA

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Had the same thing happen to me with my JIC's when I had my '03 996TT. Ended up being a manufacturer defect of the upper mount. Had to take the right rear out and have JIC (through Vivid Racing) send me a replacement pillowball.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Had the same thing happen to me with my JIC's when I had my '03 996TT. Ended up being a manufacturer defect of the upper mount. Had to take the right rear out and have JIC (through Vivid Racing) send me a replacement pillowball.
Same for me, but in the front. It was the upper spring plates. They used the wrong ones on a couple of batches. When you remove the "noisy shock", remove the upper spring plate. Where it meets the pivot plate, there will be scarring on both plates as a result. You have to remove the shock to see it.

The JIC guys now, are not the ones who developed the original ones. They are still dealing with Porsche guys who have recently installed them. They learned from Akram and myself, and should be fairly well versed in how to correct it, now.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
mtl911 is infamous around these parts
I am getting the same problem...Hey OP, did you ever resolve the problem?

what was it?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 AM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
I also want to know, Im having the strange noise but in the front

Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
My clunk is in the rear.....I wonder if a simple tightening of the main bolt is all that it needs.....hopefully!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM
OP Here - Did all that.

- Sprayed WD-40 all over the shock, top-mount
- Replaced drop links
- Replaced top mount
- Replaced bearing in top mount
- Replace spring.
- Tightened top main nut.

Solution? I went with KWV3's. No more clunking.
JIC went kaput or I would've sent it in for repair.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Oh no!

So my coilover is defective?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't say it's defective. My personal opinion is that the coilovers suffer from poor build quality. They didn't always clunk. It happened maybe a few hundred miles after I started driving it.

- I literally threw a thousand or two trying to solve the problem. Maybe your problem is not the shock? maybe it's something hitting a control arm?

All I know is I replaced with KW's, RSS upper control arms, RSS lower control arms, ERP tie steer rods at the same time.

No knock, clutch, rattle anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JIC Cross Suspension Installed - Rear Clunking