996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Daily driver recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Daily driver recommendation?

I think it is time for me to get a daily driver so the Turbo doesn't have to endure the dull commutes. Since we all seem to have similar tastes (I've noticed several others on this board coming from S2000s and M3s), I'd like to see what you guys would recommend with the following conditions in mind:

Budget: up to $25k for a vehicle made within the past decade.
The car must have above average reliability with reasonable maintenance costs. Must have back seats (preferably bigger than those found in the 911 )
Peppy acceleration (let's quantify this as a sub 6 second 0-60 time) with sporting traits, but I don't need an all out sports car as I have the Turbo already.

I can only come up with e46 330 or e90/e92 328 (I heard about 335s' fuel pump issue plus I think the 335s are out of my price range anyway).

Thanks for the inputs!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Subaru WRX in either wagon or sedan should fit the bill. Reliable, very fast and decent room for 4 and storage. Myself, I drive the TT everyday including in the snow. My commute is pretty short though - 8 miles.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
My neighbor has a 2007 Audi S4 thats pretty nice. Goes in almost any weather and has good power and sounds good too. I'd take one for my DD if I didn't get feet of snow here on a weekly basis.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
MB C300 Sport (08-) with stick shift are coming down to those ranges (there are only a handful stick shifts around). The AT version not bad either so easier to get with a nice set of options, but stick definitely lets more power out.

AMG appearance kit highly recommended (wheels). The car is definitely a serious car w really nice options, inspiring to drive and kills competiton in terms of feel of luxury and quality. Go drive one and you won't look back, I speak from experience.
Plus just like the Pcar it's from Stuttgart.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
MrWhite, how would you rate the reliability of a '08 on C300? I know MB used to build tanks that would run forever, but starting from the late 90s to the last time I looked at them back in 2006 or so, they have some really spotty records. Has MB recovered from that?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Get a CPO 335, they have a 100,000 mile full 120,000 HPFP coverage.

I am on my 2nd now as a dd and love them. Add a tune and you are at 380whp.

ps. Yes you can get them at 25k.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RudyTT
MrWhite, how would you rate the reliability of a '08 on C300? I know MB used to build tanks that would run forever, but starting from the late 90s to the last time I looked at them back in 2006 or so, they have some really spotty records. Has MB recovered from that?
Don't know of any stats like that, if I did I would prob not be on my 2nd 996TT.

We loved the C300 and regret letting it go, my fiance drove it most but everytime I took it anywhere I was jealous although I got it for her, it just drove and rode awesome. But the lease was up and it made more sense to get a vehicle that also had towing capability (for towing cars to races).

Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Rudy,

I've been thinking the same thing only I've been thinking of selling or trading my TT in on something easier for commuting.

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post, I've been looking at the following:
Infiniti G37S
BMW M3
Audi S5

Any thoughts on these and/or other suggestions I should consider (my range is ~$40k)?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by RiA
Rudy,

I've been thinking the same thing only I've been thinking of selling or trading my TT in on something easier for commuting.

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post, I've been looking at the following:
Infiniti G37S
BMW M3
Audi S5

Any thoughts on these and/or other suggestions I should consider (my range is ~$40k)?
RiA,

I don't mind at all. I might have done some research for you already, as a matter of fact. I was just asking a friend about his experience with an Infiniti G37S and this is what he had to say (the conversation was over an instant message program, so I'll cut and paste the relevant parts):

I got rid of my G and don't recommend it. I was never on the boards, so I don't know about that part. But I really disliked that car. It was reliable enough, though I imagine you won't see long clutch life on them. I NEVER got used to the clutch on it. Had it for almost 3 years and still stalled it fairly regularly. Super awkward feel. Partially due to the drive by wire system. It ignores most throttle blips (I guess it thinks they're just noise/interference). Then if you stab the gas hard enough to actually blip it, it totally over-responds and revs up to like 5k.

It's also a bull**** version of a sports car. Way too heavy and not built for hard driving in many ways. I took it to the track one time and can honestly say it was the WORST (yes really) car I've ever driven on a track. The brakes don't just fade but overheat to the point of completely not working in LESS than one lap. you literally cannot do one flying lap around BW. When you come in, there's literally smoke billowing from the brakes And I had the big brakes from the S version. The engine also goes into limp mode very quickly (also probably less than a full lap). It understeers badly, but if you really try to counteract that, it turns into massive oversteer. That's largely the result of the bull**** differential. I got the S model because I wanted an LSD. Well, I learned my lesson that a "viscous lsd" is not an lsd at all. They don't limit slip at all under normal circumstances. But if one wheel starts to spin at a much faster speed than the other (a one wheeler peeler), then it starts to transfer some power to the other wheel. which is what causes it to go from massive understeer to big smokey drift mode sort of uncontrollably.

Other problems: not a practical car. Yes, it's comfortable (aside from the clutch thing), but it's a big car with none of the benefits of a big car. It's as big on the outside as any 4 door car But the inside is SUPER cramped. Much tighter than a 3 series, even though it's bigger on the outside. Also, the trunk is worthless. Again, unlike a 3 series, which is much small outside. The nav/entertainment system also suck *****. It's very difficult to navigate around the ipod integration. The voice recognition is worthless the maps are ugly and frequently wrong. The bose system actually sounds pretty good though. I was really anxious to get rid of that car. I ended up selling it for $26,750 after less than 3 years of owning it. Paid $40k + tax/license for it, so I took a nasty bath on that.

There you have it. Someone who actually lived with it for almost 3 years. Guess it might not be the best choice for you and me.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Wow, I'm crossing that one off my list - not at all what I had expected.

Thanks for doing the research for me - I do appreciate it.

Rich

Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I love my B7 S4 6speed. Great looks, rock solid reliability and a V8 6speed AWD. The perfect "real" car for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
My evaluation of e92 M3

RiA,

Just noticed that you also have the M3 on your short list of candidates. Assuming you are talking about the e90/e92 M3, here is my opinion of it:

Not too long ago, BMW invited me to attend their M Power Experience in an attempt to steer me away from Porsche and buy another M3 (I had an E36 and E46 M3 but skipped on this generation). It was a chance for me to take an extended test drive of the car and discuss with the M Division rep. from Germany any issues I may have had with the car.

I opted to drive a M3 coupe equipped with DCT and all the sporting options (basically the configuration I would want if I were to go out and buy a M3 today).

First impression: interior noise level is extremely low. The car was so quiet (I would almost guess that it is close to Lexus LS level) that going back to the Turbo, it felt like I was riding with a car filled with loose nuts and bolts).

The DCT shifts swiftly AND smoothly. One regret I had with my E46 M3 was the SMG I opted for. Regardless of software updates or changes in driving style, the transmission always jerked when changing gears. The DCT performed so flawlessly that I honestly see no point in getting a 6 speed manual.

The car rode comfortably and is fairly spacious. Everything worked well and I picked up iDrive quickly (it is not as bad as some auto journalists make it out to be). I can see it being a very good daily driver. So why am I still driving the Turbo? The car had no guts.

Once you are used to the torque provided by the Turbo, the peaky nature of the M3's power delivery made the car seemed anemic. I had to rev the cr!p out of the engine to get a good pace going, even then, there was very little sensation of speed.

I had a S2000 so this isn't my first time with a car lacking low end torque. In a lithe roadster, I can accept the peaky engine, but it is just a mismatch in a luxo-GT like the M3.

When I addressed the issue with the M Division Rep., she was surprised and said I was the only person to ever say that to her. She suggested that I wait for the next M, which would have better low end torque (not sure if she was talking about the 1 Series M or the next M3).

To wrap this up, as a long time BMW guy, I would get a 335 (provided the fuel pump issue gets solved and BMW isn't just replacing them with ones still with design defect until the warranty runs) and see what develops with the next M3. I am just not that impressed with the current gen.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Subaru WRX in either wagon or sedan should fit the bill. Reliable, very fast and decent room for 4 and storage. Myself, I drive the TT everyday including in the snow. My commute is pretty short though - 8 miles.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RudyTT
I heard about 335s' fuel pump issue plus I think the 335s are out of my price range anyway).

Thanks for the inputs!
+1 on tvurts recommendation on the 335i. had an '07 it's the best dd i've ever had, speed/handling to say nothing of it's reliablity. only issue i had was the fuel pump you mentioned and bmw's stellar warranty took care of that. so for awhile i was a four turbo household until the economy forced me to give up the "slower" tt!

you'll find one for 25k and you'll love it. guaranteed. just be sure you get it with the semi auto w/ paddle shifters.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I just picked up a G35 sedan and I quite like it! I drove several Audi's (no pep and generally bland) and BMW's (I like them, but couldn't find a reasonably priced one without some story or needed an ungodly amount of maintenance). Then I drive a G35 sedan and it was peppy and has reliability...

It definitely isn't going to stand a chance compared to a 911, but is a good daily, IMO. I have no experience with the G37...

I did drive some of the newer BMW and they really sucked. They killed the throttle response and put the tiptronic in upside down (down is up and up is down or something).

The turbo Audi's were ok, but reliability and ability to repair was very poor. On the 2.7T needed to remove the engine if a turbo goes out. Yikes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily driver recommendation?