996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Painted my Broken Eggs....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by powderjay
Anybody know a good source for the techart covers??
I bought them from Claus Ettensberger (cecwheels.com).

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I've had my car like this for 5 days and have received so many compliments. Nobody believes it's a 2001. I just smile when they comment that LEDs weren't around in 2001.

Its really funny, but i never liked the look of the TA snap-ons, but then wound up doing something very similar.

For the guys with the TA snap ons, how thick is the material?
How much did you pay roughly for painting?

The more I look at pics of my car before painting the eggs, I finally understand the hate for the 996 style. Really made the car look "old".

IMO, this made the largest impact on improving the cars looks. Everyone should try it - easier than painting your bumperettes!

Last edited by ttpopo; 02-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ttpopo

IIRC, about $250, including application/mounting. They are a thin but sturdy fiberglass originally in eggshell color, and easily painted.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I've had my car like this for 5 days and have received so many compliments. Nobody believes it's a 2001. I just smile when they comment that LEDs weren't around in 2001.

Its really funny, but i never liked the look of the TA snap-ons, but then wound up doing something very similar.

The more I look at pics of my car before painting the eggs, I finally understand the hate for the 996 style. Really made the car look "old".

IMO, this made the largest impact on improving the cars looks. Everyone should try it - easier than painting your bumperettes!
Hey I've been doing a little stalking to track down some pics of you're ride.
Yeah great a guy with the nick-name psycho who's stalking you...

LOVE the ride!!
As to the techart masks, I've got to tell you guys that the ones which where purchased by Al Pettee are not techarts... sorry Al... but atleast they didn't charge you TA prices.

I bought mine through the Porsche dealer, Techarts are made from polyurethane and cost... wait for it.... $800,-

They're very thin, flexible with superior fit but expensive... and that does not include paint or install.

Oh BTW TTpopo you probably already know this but installing a 3M film on the front bumper, fenders, lights/masks and hood will save ya big time and imo an absolute must with fiber glass!!!
It negates 95% of the negative attributes associated with fiber-glass!
The only draw back is that it has to be custom cut on the car by an expert (read $$$) because they don't make computer patterns for Frankenstein bumper like we've got .

Again congrats on the car!

Cheers,

Sid.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey I've been doing a little stalking to track down some pics of you're ride.
Yeah great a guy with the nick-name psycho who's stalking you...

LOVE the ride!!
As to the techart masks, I've got to tell you guys that the ones which where purchased by Al Pettee are not techarts... sorry Al... but atleast they didn't charge you TA prices.

I bought mine through the Porsche dealer, Techarts are made from polyurethane and cost... wait for it.... $800,-

They're very thin, flexible with superior fit but expensive... and that does not include paint or install.

Oh BTW TTpopo you probably already know this but installing a 3M film on the front bumper, fenders, lights/masks and hood will save ya big time and imo an absolute must with fiber glass!!!
It negates 95% of the negative attributes associated with fiber-glass!
The only draw back is that it has to be custom cut on the car by an expert (read $$$) because they don't make computer patterns for Frankenstein bumper like we've got .

Again congrats on the car!

Cheers,

Sid.
Thanks for the compliments Sid. Your car is awesome as well. Amazing how much cleaning up the broken eggs and adding some WELL-integrated LEDs in the bumper does for the looks. I have to take some good pics and post them up one of these days...

My body guys rec'd a clearbra after the work was done, but i haven't been back yet to put it on, so tell me - what are the advantages and how does it help w/ "glassfibre"?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Thanks for the compliments Sid. Your car is awesome as well. Amazing how much cleaning up the broken eggs and adding some WELL-integrated LEDs in the bumper does for the looks. I have to take some good pics and post them up one of these days...

My body guys rec'd a clearbra after the work was done, but i haven't been back yet to put it on, so tell me - what are the advantages and how does it help w/ "glassfibre"?
Thanks!!

OK Fiber Glass...and clear film.
FG has a nasty habit of chipping BADLY, I mean it'll chip just by looking at it...
I have a FG bumper on 2 of my other rides and vowed never to use it again, had to repaint every year!!! until I discovered the magic of clear film .

So they advantages are...
1. it reduces paint chips, hairline cracks and scratches by 95%!!!
2. it also evens out the texture/reflective property differences between the steel fenders/hood and FG bumper.

The draw back are...
1. the very few small chips you do get (by for instance a brick hitting your car at 180mph ) are not really fixable by touching it up, it is possible to have the installer use a heat gun and spatula to smooth out the little nick in the film but not the tiny paint chip below it... (don't try it yourself chances are great you'll burn right through the film...ask me how I know ).
2. it's not really wax-able to the same degree the rest of the car is so up-close you'll see a difference (not from more than 6ft away).

Like I said not cheap but with all the $$$, time, sweat, blood and tears ya had to put up with to get it looking the way it does... WELL WORTH IT!