996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

?Oil leak - not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
by the look of photos, regular oil wouldn't spread thin like that
^^^+1

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Don't think it's brake fluid. Brake doesn't leak often and there is too much leaked. There is only 1L of brake fluid in the whole car.

This has to be coolant. Coolant is slippery but not oily. It is usually gold in color if it's factory fluid.

Like others said, oil would not spread out like that. oil is more viscous.

So, I would get it flat bed to dealer for fix. You can use AAA roadside assistance. I would not recommend shipping the car with a known issue. Shippers often need to rearrange their load and may end up running your car dry. They will not be liable for that.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
I'm in Calgary and own a 996TT, what part of town is the car? I could go have a quick look if it helps you. I can at least tell you what type of fluid this is and should be able to figure out where it's coming from.

PM me if you like.

Paul

Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
ybslow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Pentosin is greeish.

Yellow and oily... brake fluid? A busted brake line?

On the floor it looks like coolant though.

Check:
- Front brake reservoir level (DOT4)
- Front power assisted clutch level (Pentosin - under plastic cover on drivers side under hood) Green cap. Don't spill.
- Check power steering fluid level in engine bay. Small black cap marked CHF11
- Check coolant level in engine bay (left side, black or blue cap)

- Wouldn't run the engine warm with that leak, without finding out what type of leak it is.

By the look of photos, regular oil wouldn't spread thin like that.

I should have specified in the photos that this is what it looked like after it had been wiped up. This is why it looks so thin.

Thanks for the directions on where things are located. I will pass these along via the phone tomorrow. I'm assuming all 4 suggested levels can be accurately checked without running the engine.

We have rolled the car forward a couple feet and will see what kind of fluid accumulates, if any, over the next 24 hours.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Pentosin is very thin and spreads easily. Hydralically assisted clutch is my primary guess, although the colour doesn't match Pentosin 100%. Based on those pictures it's the transmission that's wet, just below that clutch thingy ( I'm fortunately running a GT2 system... ).
Second guess, based on that location, would be coolant from engine-to-cabin heater lines. Reservoir -or engine-to-radiator line- leak wouldn't flow from there.
Oil, hardly not, too big leak... BTW, engine needs to be in it's operating temperature ( +80C ) before the level can be measured via the OBC. But if it's oil, it's coming from rear of the engine, probably from the RMS.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Mikkofin is infamous around these parts
I also think oil would not spread like that on the floor. Also, if it were pentosin, it would be easy to point out due to its "unique" flavor, right ?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Someone may have put reg power steering fluid in and now its leaking though the slave? Or the oil cooler may have a leak on a cooling plate? Hard to say with out knowing what the fluid is. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Glacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the rough
I am in Calgary as well if you would like someone to take a look at it.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
I stopped by today to have a look at his car, what I found was the following. The fluid leaking from up around the slave cylinder area and is definately Pentosin. I checked the front clutch master cylinder and the reservoir was half way between the level lines. The rear pentosin reservoir was bone dry showing nothing on the dip stick. I had the failure with my system that pushed pentosin to the front master cylinder over flowing it, but have not seen this issue, I would assume it's a pressure line/fitting on the slave cylinder/accumulator.

Any other thoughts?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
A time for a GT2 slave cylinder upgrade...

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
THe accumulator is becoming loose....

Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Big Kudos to Basic who drove all the way across town to check out my car

It is supposed to be flatbedded to the local Porsche dealer and they will look at it today. I will update when I know more from them. Thanks to all the members for their advice.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Basic
I stopped by today to have a look at his car, what I found was the following. The fluid leaking from up around the slave cylinder area and is definately Pentosin. I checked the front clutch master cylinder and the reservoir was half way between the level lines. The rear pentosin reservoir was bone dry showing nothing on the dip stick. I had the failure with my system that pushed pentosin to the front master cylinder over flowing it, but have not seen this issue, I would assume it's a pressure line/fitting on the slave cylinder/accumulator.

Any other thoughts?

You've been repped! Nice to see 6'er helping each other!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Hopefully it is something as simple as the previous owner having the slave or accumilator replaced right before the car was sold and the accum is not tightened all the way down (very easy to happen since it is hard to tighten). Dealership should be able to just tighten is, refill rear reserviour and bleed the system and you are good to go. Hopefully none of the fittings on the slave are stripped as they will be a pain to change.

Let us know what the dealer finds.

Repping Basic!!! Nice job!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
It was towed to the dealer this morning. As expected, it was the slave cylinder.

They are fixing it currently. They have to ship in a part but are expecting to have it done by the weekend. Hopefully this will be the last of my troubles for the next little while at least.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ?Oil leak - not sure where to start