996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need your opinion on motor mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Need your opinion on motor mounts

I need your opinion if you have stiffer motor mounts:

1) Which stiffer motor mounts do you have ?
2) Do you track events ?
3) What is/are your tolerance of comfort your willing to sacrafice for performance ?

I want to get the Rennline solid motor mounts for 2 reasons.
1) no flex
2) drops the engine lower thus lower center of gravity = better cornering speed.

Cons:

1) maybe to low already with my ride heigh and be a problem on the street
2) to much vibration that may make the knock sensor go nuts.

Any tuners know how much solid motor mounts may affect the knock sensors ?

TIA

Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I need your opinion if you have stiffer motor mounts:

1) Which stiffer motor mounts do you have ?
Wevo's

2) Do you track events ?
Not yet with these.

3) What is/are your tolerance of comfort your willing to sacrafice for performance ?
Pretty much everything... In addition to wevo's my transmission front carrier is made out of urethane and I have a LWFW. The combination is really noisy. So installing Cup shifter cables doesn't do much of a harm anymore.

I want to get the Rennline solid motor mounts for 2 reasons.
1) no flex
2) drops the engine lower thus lower center of gravity = better cornering speed.
IMO Wevo's flex is minimal, yet they're slightly less noisy than solids. If the trans front carrier is still OEM, it might not be unbearably uncomfortable.

Cons:

1) maybe to low already with my ride heigh and be a problem on the street
I'm running low suspension and I haven't got any issues even during the winter.
Taka a notice that if you drop the engine from rear only, exhaust tips look quite ridiculous...there will be a 2" gap between them and the bumper.

2) to much vibration that may make the knock sensor go nuts.
This is more or less an urban legend...

Any tuners know how much solid motor mounts may affect the knock sensors ?

TIA

Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I love my wevo's, and 997 trans mount. I got them in Oct, so no track time till April 15th here in OH.

If you never DD the car go solid trans mount and solid MM, else go with the wevo + 997 trans mount.

Tom

Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Wevo's

Not yet with these.

Pretty much everything... In addition to wevo's my transmission front carrier is made out of urethane and I have a LWFW. The combination is really noisy. So installing Cup shifter cables doesn't do much of a harm anymore.

IMO Wevo's flex is minimal, yet they're slightly less noisy than solids. If the trans front carrier is still OEM, it might not be unbearably uncomfortable.

Cons:

I'm running low suspension and I haven't got any issues even during the winter.
Taka a notice that if you drop the engine from rear only, exhaust tips look quite ridiculous...there will be a 2" gap between them and the bumper.

This is more or less an urban legend...

Pete,

I appreciate your lenghtly input. I have decided base on what you said that i should just give the green light for solids mounts. I have been told that the engine knock sensors may go nuts due to the vibrations. I have driven my friends 79 SC with solid motor mouts and it feels beautiful. I want that feeling.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by tvurt
I love my wevo's, and 997 trans mount. I got them in Oct, so no track time till April 15th here in OH.

If you never DD the car go solid trans mount and solid MM, else go with the wevo + 997 trans mount.

Tom
Tom,

Thank you for your input. Have you heard of the knock sensors going haywire with solids or just a myth like Pete stated ? I do DD the car but i can live with it. I had straight pipes for 3 years. MM vibration will just be another massage for me.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I have solids...plus the tranny mount and coilovers and lowered. No knock sensor issues but with the carbon fiber shell seats.....you better make sure your fillings are screwed in tightly if you are going to drive it on the streets...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I have heard of the knock issue. I believe that it was Kevin at UMW that brought it up a few years ago. It was not from solids but from the 993 style wevos. I bet if you called or emailed him, he would be happy to discuss it.

Tom