996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front bumper license plate hole question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Front bumper license plate hole question

I see a lot of Turbos with two little holes for where one might mount a front license plate. Is this only for cars delivered to states with front plate laws?

vs.

No holes is way cleaner. If you wanted a Turbo w/o the holes would you have to source it from a specific state? How does this work?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
A couple of options to take care of the holes.

I found some small plastic plugs at an Ace hardware store that fit almost flush when inserted in the license plate holes. You should be able to find similar plugs at any good hardware store or perhaps even a Home Depot or Lowes. Took some color matching touch up paint and painted them (after roughing them up with some 320 grit sand paper). After some color sanding and a coat of clear coat, they looked pretty good. However, still noticeable when close to the car.

Option (2): I eventually pulled the front bumper to have it re-sprayed as it had numerous rock dings in it. This was done prior to having a clear bra material applied. I elected to have the holes filled in at that time. The fill-in and re-spray is obviously several orders of magnitude more expensive, but if you're considering getting the bumper repainted in the future, it's probably the best way to go.

For the record, I live in TX, and yes, front license plates are required by law. However, never had one on the car, and have never had an issue thus far . . .

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Get a set of bumperplugs. This is a nice simple good looking solution. They have them available in all Porsche colors. Bumperplugs is a board sponsor so you can just look them up in the sponsor directory and contact them.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Yes but there are cars out there that don't have the holes or need plugs to begin with, right?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Carbon
Yes but there are cars out there that don't have the holes or need plugs to begin with, right?
You are right. I bought my Turbo out of state and the front bumper doesn't have the two holes for mounting a front plate.

However, even for States requiring a front plate, you could buy a car with an unmolested front bumper. I recall, many years ago, accompanying my father to pick up a Jaguar he had just bought. During the delivery process, the salesman told him that the State of California requires all cars to have a front plate and asked my father if he wanted the dealership to put it on for him or if it was something he wanted to do himself <wink wink> My father got the hint and needless to say, drove his new car off the lot without a front plate. This was almost 10 years ago, so I don't know if things are still the same today.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
The holes in my front bumper are square and not drilled in like they are on my Infiniti. They look to be molded in or maybe a tool that is used at the port that cuts the holes that way? They definitely were not put there by a drill bit!