996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Starting/battery issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
According to the repair manual (see pic) the output of the generator should be 1680 watts. To convert watts to amps you have to divide by 12 volts: 1680 / 12 : 140 amps.... Thats should be the minimum...

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
I replaced the battery and it looked like the volt meter was dropping after the car was started. I went out and got a volt meter to measure it. With the ignition off it read 12.53 volts. I started it and started measuring, but it was dropping, and quickly. In under a minute it was under 12.

So this means it's either the alternator, voltage regulator, or the pulley? If there is any way to diagnose these without just buying replacements and seeing which one fixes it?
Interesting reading about voltage regulator here : http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

and here http://www.renntech.org/forums/index..._1#entry178700

It can help reduce cost....

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tphss
That one is specified for a tip, so I called the guy. He said I need this one, which isn't a Bosch but a direct replacement for the Bosch AL0812X that uses an OEM clutch pulley and a Bosch regulator. This does get confusing.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
That one is specified for a tip, so I called the guy. He said I need this one, which isn't a Bosch but a direct replacement for the Bosch AL0812X that uses an OEM clutch pulley and a Bosch regulator. This does get confusing.
It is in fact very confusing. 120 amps again. I've read so many post now that I don't know what to think. Especially there is one on Renntech for installing a higher amps output one over 200 amps but no replied... I carry on my search and will let you know. Please let me know your outcome...

Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I agree the issue comes down to amps. if you go to autoparts websites most come up with a 120 amp version for our cars, but a few return a 150 amp one for a couple hundred more. When I had to replace a radiator a couple months ago I realized the parts places frequently list a part for a 996NA car as being compatible with a Turbo, when in many cases they require different parts.

Does anyone know the original Bosch part number for the 2001-2004 Turbo?

Last edited by deckman; 02-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes! Agree with you. If you look at this one the advertise ti at 150 amps! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...#ht_2918wt_941. I also went to many french site in europe and they are rating the TT alternator at 120 amps

http://seekpart24.com/porsche/911-99...ernator-100350

Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I called Ryan at Suncoast and he gave me the Porsche p/n as 997-603-012-01, which is one of the interchange numbers from the link you provided above. He didn't know the Bosch p/n. BTW - a reman from them is $1,300!!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Bosche AL0812X will get you the 120 amp version.

Amperage requirements vary depending on load. If you have headlights, foglights, wipers, A/C on high, stereo blasting you may exceed the alternator's output thus will begin to deplete your battery. Otherwise there's no problem with 120 versus 140. With a voltmeter you can at least keep an eye on the situation if you see voltage down around 13 with the engine running.

Around $400 for a rebuild will get you a genuine Bosche rebuilt. Not a Bosche "like" alternator that "like" might work for "like" a little while. Some of the ebay stuff is major crap. It it's less than $400 it's a chinese knock-off.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I've had enough. I called Rare Electrical and spoke to a guy who seemed to know his stuff. He says the 150 amp model is for the 2005 Turbo MY and the 120 amp is for all the other 996 models and years. I bought one from them for $190. He was adamant that is the one I need.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I called Ryan at Suncoast and he gave me the Porsche p/n as 997-603-012-01, which is one of the interchange numbers from the link you provided above. He didn't know the Bosch p/n. BTW - a reman from them is $1,300!!
Ouch! $1300.00! Glad we got internet to found some options...

Thanks also for the new english word I've learn today: "Adamant"

Last edited by jpflip; 02-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
DANGER! Will Robinson. Very misleading ad, that one. It lists Porsche as an OEM for alternators. Never does mention the true manufacturer other than their part number, 0-124-525-057. Google that and all you find is the pulley. That's the part number for just the pulley. Now what about the rest of it?

You may get lucky with such crap, but you might fry your ECU as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Centauro97
DANGER! Will Robinson. Very misleading ad, that one. It lists Porsche as an OEM for alternators. Never does mention the true manufacturer other than their part number, 0-124-525-057. Google that and all you find is the pulley. That's the part number for just the pulley. Now what about the rest of it?

You may get lucky with such crap, but you might fry your ECU as well.
Amazing how difficult it is just to save some money Over 29.000 feedbacks !!!! And only 31 bad ones....

Last edited by jpflip; 02-11-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Depends on the question you ask. Does it fit? Yes.

Is it a quality replacement for an exotic sports car? No.

Americans aren't difficult to please, cheap crap satisfies. What can I say? Look at the "Real Housewives" ratings. Who'd a guessed?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I ordered the cheap one and will report back on outcomes good or bad.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Centauro97
Depends on the question you ask. Does it fit? Yes.

Is it a quality replacement for an exotic sports car? No.

Americans aren't difficult to please, cheap crap satisfies. What can I say? Look at the "Real Housewives" ratings. Who'd a guessed?

I know what you mean. I live not far from a Walmart... But I hope you understand that many times, parts prices for exotics cars are too high and it is possible to found cheapest alternate. Ex: oil filter, air filter... Pelican is offering alternate parts at better prices including alternators and starters etc. so far so good with what I purchase from them....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting/battery issue