996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Starting/battery issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
I ordered the cheap one and will report back on outcomes good or bad.
Thanks for keeping us up to date with this deckman. But we know that tphss is fully satisfied with what he got....

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I took off the alternator. To clear things up it is a 120 amp unit. Bosch part number 124 515 073. Porsche part number 996.603.012.02.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I took the alternator to an auto parts store and had it tested. It passed and is still good

Now I feel like I'm chasing a rabbit down a hole. Djantlive early on in this thread said it could be loose battery cable, failing starter, failing ignition pack. Anyone have advice on what I should do next? This sucks.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I took the alternator to an auto parts store and had it tested. It passed and is still good

Now I feel like I'm chasing a rabbit down a hole. Djantlive early on in this thread said it could be loose battery cable, failing starter, failing ignition pack. Anyone have advice on what I should do next? This sucks.
I remember a post mentioning the clutch was at fault. I am going to search for it...

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Got it. Read the post before the last...https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...reading-2.html

Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the link. That thread suggests the alternator will quit after the it get's warmed up, but my battery starts losing juice right after starting, so I don't know if that's applicable here. However, it just says "once the alternator heats up...". I don't know how long that takes. It may only be a minute.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the link. That thread suggests the alternator will quit after the it get's warmed up, but my battery starts losing juice right after starting, so I don't know if that's applicable here. However, it just says "once the alternator heats up...". I don't know how long that takes. It may only be a minute.
You got one coming... Try it and see. At least you will be able to completely eliminate (almost) this possibility...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
jump starting is fine, just drive the car more. you're doing more damage to the car then just the battery by not using it....

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by mod mike
jump starting is fine, just drive the car more. you're doing more damage to the car then just the battery by not using it....
Wrong thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
my good!!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Did they just put it on the bench, spin it and check for voltage out? If so, that doesn't test for the "failing" alternator, only a "failed" one.

I've known regulators to fail like that, they get hot then either fail to pass voltage or overcharge the system.

Since you have a new battery that's a done deal. I'd recommend putting a charger on the car to make sure the battery is fully charged.

Now take a look at the cables attached to the battery looking for corrosion both where they attach to the battery, then to the chassis.

It could still be the alternator/regulator. While you're wrenching away I'd replace both. It'll suck less than doing it twice if there's still a problem.

The final problem could be a short somewhere in the system that's draining your battery, just enough to drain but not enough to blow the fuse (typical for corrosion). If you don't start the engine what does the voltmeter do?

Last edited by Centauro97; 02-14-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I think the regulator is built onto the alternator. Since I have a new one coming I'm going to put that one back in and hope that takes are of it. But yes, the auto part store put it on a bench and spun it up for a couple of minutes until the computer passed it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
The regulator is attached to the back (toward the front of the car when installed) of the alternator. Not sure if all alternators come with one installed or not. I've seen photos of swapping the regulator onto the new alternator in the FYI pages.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Centauro97
The regulator is attached to the back (toward the front of the car when installed) of the alternator. Not sure if all alternators come with one installed or not. I've seen photos of swapping the regulator onto the new alternator in the FYI pages.
I've post a link on page 2 for regulator replacement: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
In case anyone is still paying attention to this, the replacement alternator is in and that was the problem. It is outputting 14+ volts with no drain. I put in an el cheapo replacement for the the original that cost me just $127. If it ever fails I'll fess up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting/battery issue