996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stripped 2 nuts while installing exhaust...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Stripped 2 nuts while installing exhaust...suggestions?

I was installing a exhaust system on my car and while removing the rusted up 13mm (4) nuts that connect the cat to turbo; (2) of the nuts stripped. Any suggestions on how to remove them? Before doing anything I saturated them w/PB Blaster and took my time w/them; but there was just too much rust on em.

Thanks.
-V

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Removing the nuts from the studs usually results in thread damage....the older the car the more likely hood of problems there. I take it you have got the nuts off the studs or did you end up removing the stud in the process....the nut freezing on the stud. If the stud is still remaining in the turbo housing i would firstly use a stud removing socket and see if you cant get the stud out. That is the best situation as that way you can replace the entire stud and nut. If there is risk of the stud snapping off in the turbo housing then I would get a die nut and clean the thread up as best as possible and then use a new nut. If you don't have these tools you will need to buy them before proceeding.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
they back out of the turbo as well. if you have to, its possible to put a vise grip on it and unthread the bolt from the turbo. then just replace it. Just make sure you dont break it off or you will be pulling the turbo and using easy outs to get the bolt out.
good luck

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
you beat me, i was typing this and you got to it first. same advice. good for us

Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
you beat me, i was typing this and you got to it first. same advice. good for us
No worries. And yes....good for us the pain is now a distant memory . This is where having the right equipment helps. I wouldn't even attempt doing an exhaust for one of these without a full set of new nuts and studs on standby....along with a stud remover, a die nut, a tap with T piece so to clean up the thread in the turbo housing "if" you can get them out. It always pays to refresh the thread in the housing before winding a new stud in .

Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Use a cut off tool to grind off one side of the nut. You may need a old worn out disc as it is real tight in there. Once you have that done the nut should just spin off with a little effort. Or use a air hammer with a flat chisel and shear off the nut and stud at the face of the flange. The flange is at least 3/8's to a 1/2 thick which will leave you that much room to grab the stud with visegrips. If you use the air hammer way I would spray the pb on the stud/housing and heat the housing only before trying to turn the stud out. Also when you brake them loose just wiggle them back and forth or loosen/tighten with out resetting the visegrips. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Studs are perfectly fine, the head on the nut is rounded off... I'm going to try "bolt out" from Craftsman.

Last edited by k-ore; 02-11-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
those are pretty good^

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
There probably is not enough room to get a bolt out in there. Get a sharp (IE, new) chisel and a hammer, and knock the nut counter clockwise using the chisel. You don't need to overly beat on it, just some firm, well placed hits. With this method, you will either get the nut turning, or start cutting the nut in half, either way, the nut is coming off. I would also pre soak it in Kroil for about an hour (or PB blaster if that is all you have).

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I've been in the exact situation, and when I tried to torque the bolt off, the stud broke flush.

If you break the stud (which is very possible), remove the turbo and use a TIG welder (or find someone who can do it for you) to built up a nub. Then you can torqued it out with a vice grip. The threads should be okay if you chase it with a thread chaser.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Studs are perfectly fine, the head on the nut is rounded off... I'm going to try "bolt out" from Craftsman.
Your nuts are 13mm so buy a 6 point 1/2 inch ( 12.7mm ) Craftsman wrench.
Also get another 6 point Craftsman in 12mm. Use a small square file to enlarged that 12mm hex to 12.2mm or 12.4mm or whatever until you can hammer it over the worn nut.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned
I used a similiar technique to what Elegant Performance suggested....drenched the **** in more PB Blaster and went at with wise grips...and it worked.

Replaced all those damn nuts to & FYI to anyone that needs to buy replacement nuts for the exhaust to turbo studs, they are M8-1.25.

Thanks for the help peps....my car sounds badass now.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Replaced all those damn nuts to & FYI to anyone that needs to buy replacement nuts for the exhaust to turbo studs, they are M8-1.25.
Good information here. Quick question on the studs. They are M8 1.25 x ??
Thanks!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deckman
Good information here. Quick question on the studs. They are M8 1.25 x ??
Thanks!
8mm by a thread pitch of 1.25

hit up your local auto parts store like napa they will have it..
just say you need some 8x1.25

Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Still probably a dumb question, but how long should the stud be?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stripped 2 nuts while installing exhaust...suggestions?