996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A little FYI about spark plugs....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I ran NGK 3330s in my first Supra and run coppers in my current white 1000hp Supra. Nothing else worked without hesitating, popping, etc... The 996TT may be a different story. Mine currently has whatever the PO had installed at the dealer 2K miles ago so I'm assuming its a OE plug.
I think you'd be suprised if you used the Iridium Plugs; I was in the same boat as you when the only thing that was available was the 3330r.

Link: http://www.titanmotorsports.com/ngkiridiums.html

I use the 2668 NGK Iridiums in my supra; and they can be bought at any advance auto parts.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I would love to hear how to change the sparkplugs without removing the rear bumper and intercoolers.
All you need is a lift and basic tools. If you are standing under the engine, you can reach up and remove all the coils and plugs...it's all right there and easy to do - I've done it without any problems.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
All you need is a lift and basic tools. If you are standing under the engine, you can reach up and remove all the coils and plugs...it's all right there and easy to do - I've done it without any problems.
I knew there was a catch If only I had a lift in my garage. I'll bet the difficulty factor goes way up without bumper removed and no lift. Going to do my plugs in the next couple weeks.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The advantage with a lift is you can see everything really well and work easily. I have never tried it without a lift, but I'll bet if you can get the car up on blocks and jack stands to gain some room under there, it's probably not that bad with a good light source. I would try this first before the other route of removing everything.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Word of caution for tuned cars: call your tuner. I had a flash in the past that assumed a certain type of plug (bosch fr6), and car did not run all that great when I went with the Densos. I would use the plug that your tuner recommends as compatible with your software.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
I ran ngk B_EV and BR_EV (heat range in place of underscore) in most every performance vehicle I've had since the early 80s.

When I say that, I just slapped them in without regard to anything other than length and even fudged on heat range by running far too many steps colder and never had an issue with fouling.

If it fit, I put them into anything from a j-ported 1974 13-b rotary to most every crazy boosted car I've owned and they last until I sell the vehicle or build something else for it.

I'm down to my last 20 from the hundreds I got on clearance from electrodyne in 1988 and I'm not even sure they make these amazing plugs anymore.

That said, I'm running copper ngks bpr7es in my current 280zx turbo engine'd infiniti because it's power level is not intense enough for anything more.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 02-16-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I don't have a 996tt yet (buy it friday, storing it until April), but what tools are we talking about? I've heard you need a couple of different styles of allen (long/short ball heads and super short allen). I'd hate to get the car up on a lift just to find out that I need to run back out to the store and buy tools... I hate when that happens.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
I do not recall exactly...there are allen head screws on the coils, then the spark plugs take a spark plug socket. But nothing special, maybe an angle socket drive, I am not sure. I have only done it once and did not pay attention to the tools...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
snopdog911 is infamous around these parts
my porsche shop charges 4 hours to change them out and they remove bumper and IC
any DIY with pictures???

Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I would love to hear how to change the sparkplugs without removing the rear bumper and intercoolers.
yes someone ought to make a video and sell it!! I'm about to change my plugs and not sure what route to take.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
yes someone ought to make a video and sell it!! I'm about to change my plugs and not sure what route to take.
John,

can you make a video and I will be the 1st person to purchase it, being I am planning on doing my plugs in a couple of weeks!

I am serious! Lay out the tools that would be needed and go step by step I will be the 1st to call you with my credit card for $40.00!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
:-) Bobby...I am planning on doing mine again soon. I will try to remember to list all the tools and make notes on the proceedure. I'll post it once I do it.

I do recall that with our SpeedTech exhaust there was plenty of room to do it and it went very quickly and easily for me. I have a feeling with the OEM exhaust, things are probably a lot tighter and harder to access.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
:-) Bobby...I am planning on doing mine again soon. I will try to remember to list all the tools and make notes on the proceedure. I'll post it once I do it.

I do recall that with our SpeedTech exhaust there was plenty of room to do it and it went very quickly and easily for me. I have a feeling with the OEM exhaust, things are probably a lot tighter and harder to access.
john when i did mine it was the tightness between the heat shields and the turbos that was a huge obstacle. almost impossible to get my hands in there. honestly removing the bumper cover and i/c gives me a chance to inspect a few things, check boost hoses and the plugs are super easy to get to. i also had 2 stripped allen bolts on 2 coil packs that had to be drilled out. no way that could be done from underneath

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !

Please video or take photos step by step.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
photos step by step.
presto changeo.

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...anceupdate.pdf

a complete step by step w/ pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A little FYI about spark plugs....