996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is possible to invert left/right rear tires ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM
cosworth is infamous around these parts
Is possible to invert left/right rear tires ?

I read in some Forums that invert the tire rotation direction coul be dangerous because insider steel cords could broke.
My dealer after 500 Mls that had installed new tires (Pirelli Pzero Rosso)had inverted mine rears (wheels/tires) from left to right side because the car pulled to the right .
Now the car go fine and straight but i 'm a little warried because by this invertion it was inverted also tires rotation direction.
If what i read is true coul be a problem for safety ?
I hope not , i'm in italy and often go in Germany where 250 -300 Km/h is normal on the Autobahns.
Did you have experience about this invert tire operation ?
Thank you very much.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
You can only do this with non-directional tires. I believe the asymmetrico version allows you to do this, but I could be wrong. If there is an arrow on the sidewall that indicates rotational direction, then no.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Check for the directional markings, if a dealer was dumb enough to do that, id spend my Sunday finding a new competent auto house.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Sure my tires are not directional or symmetrical tires.
I have the Pirelli Pzero Rosso that is an "aimmetrico" tire , you Know tis tires ?
On the side wall ther is only specs about "outside" NO arrows to indicate rotolation direction.
So if you take the left "wheel/tire group" and put it on the right side , theoretically ther is no problem , i know this.
But my question is another.
Also in an "asimmetrico" tire the "carcass" (frame) arrangement go in direction of rotation direction (technically in opposite direction i suppose).
So to invert the rotation direction , also this arrangement is inverted.
This could cause a dinamic stress on the frame elements of the tire (steel cords) and this could cause breaking of this elements and tire explosion!!!.
This is only what i read about this question , NOT what i think an i don't know if this theory is true, but now i have the doubt and i'm warried.
What do you think ? Anyone had do this inversion "left-right" on his tires?
I repeat , i don't speak about directional tires that i know don't like inversion.
I speak about "asimmetrical" tires that technically permitt inversion but now i ask to me if this is DANGEROUS.
Thanks again

Old 02-12-2011, 12:37 PM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
I personally would not reverse the direction.. the tires were being stressed in one direction, to stress them in another seems to be unfavorable.

I see it like this, if you need to stress something make sure its in the direction you want.
I can assimilate this to bending a price of metal, then trying to reverse the bend 180dg and then tell myself that its just as strong.

My peice of mind would be worth a set of rubber IMHO.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
What Exactlycake has descibe is the origin of my anxiety.(when i write warried in previous posts i would say "worry" sorry).
Now i must understand if inversion is unfavorable only or really DANGEROUS !
The tires were being inverted after only 500 Mls so perhaps the tires were not completly arrangemented in original direction , this could not cause a lowering to cause an explosion of the tires.
I would not like to change the tires that are new.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Anyway there are different opinion about this opration.
Here is a link that describe how to invert the tires (NON Directional like mine) is admitted:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43

Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If I were you I'd call Pirelli directly and ask your question to one of their experts. I'm sure they know the correct answer.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cosworth
I read in some Forums that invert the tire rotation direction coul be dangerous because insider steel cords could broke.
My dealer after 500 Mls that had installed new tires (Pirelli Pzero Rosso)had inverted mine rears (wheels/tires) from left to right side because the car pulled to the right .
Now the car go fine and straight but i 'm a little warried because by this invertion it was inverted also tires rotation direction.
If what i read is true coul be a problem for safety ?
I hope not , i'm in italy and often go in Germany where 250 -300 Km/h is normal on the Autobahns.
Did you have experience about this invert tire operation ?
Thank you very much.
Although it's generally not considered a good idea to swap tires left to right it does solve the problem of tires that pull. This is not an uncommon problem with even very expensive tires. However if the tires have a specific directional rotation with a symetrical tread pattern, then they need to be dismounted and remounted to retain the proper rotation. IF they have an asymetrical pattern and a specific directional rotation they cannot be swapped left to right. I think the Pzero Rossa are asymetrical but do not have a specified rotational direction. Although swapping the tires left to right and changing the rotational direction is not the best idea, with less than 500 miles on them, you should be OK. Maybe our Tire Rack board sponsor expert could add futher clarification to this issue.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 02-14-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I called Pirelli today . They say to me there is no problem to invert rotation direction in an "asimmetrical" tire like Pzero rosso after only 500 Mls. They also say to me that also after much more Mls or Kms ,is true that there is an arrangement of the steel cords to the rotation direction but also to invert it there is NO risk of brake of steel cords (radial structure).
The only reason because they "reccomend" (Not prohibit) to Not invert , is because to do this after much Mls could cause anomal rotolation noise,vibration and tire's performance deterioration.
For Pirelli's operator NO Safety problem.
If Pirelli say this...anyway other comments are welcome.
Thank you.