996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Broken timing chain...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
What's "boattail the block"?? Sorry for the ignorance..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by emadelta86
What's "boattail the block"?? Sorry for the ignorance..
Here is an excellent video I found for ya on Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3NkWnBLeA

Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
This is very interesting! I've never thought about the air movement being a problem inside the block!!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
The air cooled guys have said they have seen gains upwards if 40hp making the windage of the flat block improved. It's similar concept with knife edging a crank.

Round and smooth all transistions that would catch air. So there is less drag when you push n pull air from one cavity.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Justin,

The luck we have had with our cars... urrggg!!

That said though, bigger and better to come and I'm sure the outcome will be worth it after it is all over and done with.

I have went without any accidents until my third 996TT which is pristine and I manage to hit a deer and then some black ice allows me to say a very close hello to a guard rail. Glad the damage was minimal but still... you can make this crap up!

Cheers,
Allen

Last edited by Almo; 02-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Starting to get all my stuff in order for this engine rebuild and car overhaul...

In this pic:
  • USP hard pipe kit
  • 997.2 intercoolers
  • Samco hose kit
  • Forge DV's
  • 911tuning.com 3" custom sport exhaust
  • H&R sport springs
  • GMG front and rear sway bars +adj toe links - not shown
  • Raceware 10mm headstuds
  • Pauter rods
I'll update more as I go...

Last edited by atisvt99; 04-12-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Nice parts! But i don't see any intermediate shaft? What are you going to used? Any other findings with the engine? Any other parts that needs to be replaced?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
The air cooled guys have said they have seen gains upwards if 40hp making the windage of the flat block improved. It's similar concept with knife edging a crank.

Round and smooth all transistions that would catch air. So there is less drag when you push n pull air from one cavity.

I have a hard time believing 40hp with air movement. Oil drag maybe, but air does not have anywhere near the same coefficient of friction.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atisvt99

In response to the previous guys question, the only way I can figure one of these engines could rev that high would be on a "spirited" shift meant for 3rd or 4th gear that ended up in 1st or 2nd respectively? It is my understanding that the rev limiter will kick in on the up-shift, but not the accidental down-shift? I'm just guessing though as I really don't know for sure.

I would tend to agree with this statement and know for a fact that this happens with great regularity in in toyota celica GTS and Acura cars with the 6 speed transmission.

I rebuilt a lot of engines (and transmissions) on cars where this happened and, the few that still ran, would have a "bouncy clutch pedal" because the spring tangs on the pressure plate had been bent from the event.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Nice parts! But i don't see any intermediate shaft? What are you going to used? Any other findings with the engine? Any other parts that needs to be replaced?
Thanks! I'm still gathering everything up...

The IMS is being sourced (used) by my shop... He should have it this coming week; I'll snap a pic up at the shop. My turbos are being sent out to Blouch tomorrow for a 20G upgrade. I'm going with a Clutchmasters Stage 3 (3900lb, Fibertough) setup... that should be ordered here soon (anyone else looking to go this route soon??? PM me!!!) The heads have already had a complete valve job (replaced 4 intake and 4 exhaust valves) and are due back in VA sometime this week. We will be doing some minor port work on the heads, but nothing major...

Now that I've got my head studs and rods in, the engine assembly should start within the next week or so. I'm also back in town from a month long trip, so I'll be able to better document the reassembly process!

I'm still a little uncertain on fuel delivery at this point, but am talking to a couple of people on my options and best route.

I don't recall if I mentioned this before, but this will be my 1st upgraded in a 2 stage process... I'll play around with this setup and whatever HP I can get out of it as it stands for a year or so... And then when I get bored with that, I'll go at it with one last push and do BIG turbos, big intercoolers, big fuel, blow-thru, etc... I'm sure this current jump from stock will have a big grin on my face for a good long while though.

Can't wait...

Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Very nice group of parts you got there..

Originally Posted by Prche951
I have a hard time believing 40hp with air movement. Oil drag maybe, but air does not have anywhere near the same coefficient of friction.

Remember that the opposing cylinder on the porsche motor are at tdc and bdc at the same time. So bank1 cylinder 1 and bank two cylinder 4 go up and down at the same time, one on compression and the other on exhaust stroke. That makes some big drag. One more thing to ponder is that most blown stock motors have broken rod bolts. That means the rod came apart on the down stroke of the intake stroke. The down stroke of the compression stroke in the power stroke so the rod would bend not pull apart the rod bolts. I am a true believer in boatialing but not as shown in the video. I try to shape the bearing supports to guide the air into the adjacent cylinder and not into the crank were the opposing piston is trying to force air back at you.

Last edited by Tim941NYC; 04-03-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Very nice group of parts you got there..

Remember that the opposing cylinder on the porsche motor are at tdc and bdc at the same time. So bank1 cylinder 1 and bank two cylinder 4 go up and down at the same time, one on compression and the other on exhaust stroke. That makes some big drag. One more thing to ponder is that most blown stock motors have broken rod bolts. That means the rod came apart on the down stroke of the intake stroke. The down stroke of the compression stroke in the power stroke so the rod would bend not pull apart the rod bolts. I am a true believer in boatialing but not as shown in the video. I try to shape the bearing supports to guide the air into the adjacent cylinder and not into the crank were the opposing piston is trying to force air back at you.

Tim, do you have any pics to show how you would do it?
Also, we are talking drag in static air chamber. Or do you mean that due to the pumping action within the opposing engine causes a rapid airflow internally? Is it internal air pressure within the block that increases this drag? I am not understanding this, sorry. Sometimes, these engines give me a headache

Old 04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I scrapped all my broken cases and new to my smartphone's picture option! lol. The pumping action, but it is twice as much as you are used to seeing in a V or an inline motor. You have the volume of two cylinders get forced together, not just one. if the opposing cylinders were indexed on the same journal then the windage would be some what canceled by the volume not changes. The motor would not run so smooth like that though.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm having a hard time visualizing this as well... And now I wonder how my shop is gonna cut up my block?

Can you draw up a detailed sketch on a ****tail napkin or something?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atisvt99
I'm having a hard time visualizing this as well... And now I wonder how my shop is gonna cut up my block?

Can you draw up a detailed sketch on a ****tail napkin or something?
Sounds like this thing is going to be a beast one way or another!

Where in N. Va are you located? I'm over in Arlington.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broken timing chain...