996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Broken timing chain...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
good luck and let me know when you get bored, i'll take those intercoolers of your hands

Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Sounds like this thing is going to be a beast one way or another!

Where in N. Va are you located? I'm over in Arlington.
Yea, I'm pretty excited about it... Just have to hurry up and wait now!

I live down in Hoodbridge and work up in Alexandria...

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Stopped by the shop for a few minutes yesterday... Block has now been hot tanked and "sonic something'ed". It gets shuffle pinned this coming week. The crank will be center drilled (for better oil delivery). The heads have made it back from their valve job and will receive a mild (hand) porting here very soon. And the new (to me) IMS showed up this week too. The timing chain sprockets need to be swapped over and the new crank-gear needs to be installed.

Here are a few pics I snapped real quick...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Justin,

looking good. Looking at the pic of the IMS for the gt3 I noticed that it looks like the drive for the scavenging pump for the turbos is missing? It looks like a reversed torx.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Justin,

looking good. Looking at the pic of the IMS for the gt3 I noticed that it looks like the drive for the scavenging pump for the turbos is missing? It looks like a reversed torx.
Good eye Tim!

That will be transfered from my old IMS as well... My guy has a process for doing the swap as he's done a few of them on TT cars.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
I just had exactly the same thought, thats the first time I,ve seen a GT3 inter shaft pic from that end.

I also read somewhere that it was one piece,I thought that included the chain sprockets ?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by And996tt
I just had exactly the same thought, thats the first time I,ve seen a GT3 inter shaft pic from that end.

I also read somewhere that it was one piece,I thought that included the chain sprockets ?
I'll snap a few more pics next week when I make it back by...

But no, the chain sprockets are pressed on... It's clearly a lighter piece (holy vs. the solid TT part) and the main gear is all one part (notice the bolts on my stock TT part)... I would imagine that even the main gear could be removed and pressed back on (from the looks of it)... but I honestly don't know.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
Thats strange ,I've just looked at PET for the 996GT3 on the Porsche UK website and it shows it as one piece, and in the parts list underneath there are no chain sprockets listed.

Looking at the same for the 996T the pic does show the sprockets and they are listed underneath.Weird!

I also didn't know the GT3 IMS had bigger teeth on the gearwheel, I wonder if this produces more or less noise?

Andy

Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
whats the progress big guy?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Not much to report just yet... Still waiting on the last of my bearings to get back from being coated.

Turbos should be back from Blouch this week or early next from their 20G upgrade.

Still have to decide on a fuel system...

Need to buy the clutch... and I think that's it for now.

Block and parts are being machined now (boat tailing, center drilling the crank, shuffle pinning the block, etc...)

Coming along... slowly but surely!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Things look like they are progressing well. Keep the pictures coming!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 AM
johnsjmc is infamous around these parts
I would expect new chain sprokets with a new set of cam chains. From my motorcycle days years ago we never replaced a chain without usually replacing both sprockets. Consider how hard to replace once closed up.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by johnsjmc
I would expect new chain sprokets with a new set of cam chains. From my motorcycle days years ago we never replaced a chain without usually replacing both sprockets. Consider how hard to replace once closed up.
I fully agree... one of them HAS to be replaced, and I figure since we're in there, might as well replace both of them!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Turbos!

Just got my turbos back from Blouch... I ordered the upgrade by way of Marski - nice quick turnaround time and very fair price!

These were my stock K24 thumpers with 33k miles on them... They went off to Blouch where they were upgraded to 20G units, clipped turbine wheels, and 1bar waste gates.

I honestly don't know what I'm looking at to see that they've been upgraded... Anyone care to school a novice?

In any case, here are some pics for those of you that appreciate a visual!

My builder is pushing for a May-delivery of the new grocery getter...

Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
That's no 20g wheel LOL! It may fit where a 20g wheel would but its a way newer design machined from a billet. Car will be a raped ape!

Last edited by earl3; 05-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broken timing chain...