996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt3 a better daily then a turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Gt3 a better daily then a turbo?

Got into this debate with my friend who just bought a 2011 gt3 and was a owner of a 996 turbo. I know GT3 is an awesome track car but for daily driving which car is better? He feels that his car is the best daily driver and said that a turbo feels like a honda accord and the most boring supercar to drive. My argument is that my car is very easy to live with and can be modded to give me fast lap times as well esp. when the track is not super tight. He says that no matter what I do the turbo can never be in the same level as a gt3.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Must have been one heck of an Accord

I love my 996TT although I do admit I get a better seat of the pants rush, off the line, from my E55 -- station wagon.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
Got into this debate with my friend who just bought a 2011 gt3 and was a owner of a 996 turbo. I know GT3 is an awesome track car but for daily driving which car is better? He feels that his car is the best daily driver and said that a turbo feels like a honda accord and the most boring supercar to drive. My argument is that my car is very easy to live with and can be modded to give me fast lap times as well esp. when the track is not super tight. He says that no matter what I do the turbo can never be in the same level as a gt3.

GT3 might be faster in the twisty's, if that's what you want...but take him out on the highway and watch a GT3 get a$$ raped... especially with your car...

Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
turbo has a much better ride than the GT3. GT3 is track oriented and has a more ridged suspension. While this will give you better control for the every day road its a bit stiff. Here in New England we have pot holes, frost heaves, etc - in short the road surfaces are not smooth. I would much rather have the heavier turbo, with softer suspension. If you want the sport suspension hit that sport button (997).

Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
My definition of DD is you can comfortably drive the car to/from work with a commute every day, in a scorching hot day or a freezing cold day. If he can do it in a GT3, be it. Don’t need to argue over that.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 AM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Not only that but the compression that the gt3 has to run to make that power is much higher than urs. The only time u get into the high comp is when u got the boost on! Stroke for stroke his engine has more wear and tear / rpm than urs. So just putin around town, ie daily driver, gt3 is not my winner.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Love the GT3 -- but daily driver? If you've got any traffic at all to deal with, you had better have one hell of strong left leg for that clutch pedal.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
All depends on your priorities and personal tastes...

They are both great machines!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
both great machines but i have to agree, turbo is a much better daily driver while the GT3 is a much better track car, both different and each has it's own purpose.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Sounds like he is just being a showoff with his new car. 996tt is hardly a boring sports car and I think it is one of the best compromises betweeen street and track you can find. I would bet the majority of people would find the 996tt a much better DD with it's softer suspension and creacher features. GT3 is definitly a better track car out of the box though. All depends on what each person is looking for.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
you simply can't have it all...

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the responses. I think the 911 turbo is the best overall sports car in the world. After arguing with him it seems that he will say that what ever he has is the best and everything else sucks. He is my friend and something as small as these opinions will not effect our friendship. I argued with him about the fact that on a daily basis the GT3 maybe a bit much for the road. He turned around and stated that he test drove a VW GTI and that its more fun to drive then a 911 turbo. At that point I just saw that he is arguing for the sake of arguing. When he told me why the GTI was a better car, I almost fell out of my seat. He said, "you cant enjoy the turbo on the road because you hit the gas and in a few seconds your in the triple digits but in a gti it feels more connected and you can hit the gas and still be in the speed limit." This was also his justification of the GT3 that it can be revved much higher and you can enjoy it more on the road since it takes longer to accellerate. I was in both shock and just laughing. Then whats the point of a sports car? Why not buy a smart car you can rev it and rev it and you will still not break the speed limit. I feel bad for starting this thread, I never owned or drove in a GT3 so I dont know the first hand view of it so I was thinking I was missing something, However, I came to realize that he will say what ever he has to in order to justify his purchase.

Last edited by 007-911; 02-26-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
lol I have heard people say it is funner to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... I think that is just what people with slow cars say to makes themselves feel good! :-)

Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
well there is a point where power actually feels more dangerous than fun to drive. I know i had that feeling with the supra which was well modded and i would prefer taking a slow car to the track rather than having a 800hp beast that is scary as hell.

slow car on the track can certainly be more fun and more rewarding than the modified beasts we have.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah on the track I can see that but as a daily? I feel that you can probably do some suspension upgrades and a turbo will not be so scary on the track. I would love to see how my car will do if I get sways, coilovers and corner balanceing at Gingerman against his car since we are both at the same level of driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt3 a better daily then a turbo?