996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why Isn't Porsche In F1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
wantone is infamous around these parts
Why Isn't Porsche In F1?

I see Porsche in Le Mans, Cup Races, and some other Gruppe events but why no F1??? Can someone educate me on this?

Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Mafia is infamous around these parts
$1.5 billion to become competitive would be my guess...

Old 03-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
In a nutshell, huge annual investment with limited return. Unlike Ferrari Porsche is a company that makes most decisions based on return on investment. Would I personally like to see Porsche involved in Formula 1, for sure but their bottom line would go down the tubes.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Mafia
$1.5 billion to become competitive would be my guess...

No "big daddy" corporate owner selling millions of other cars per year to amortize/hide the true costs .

Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche is smart though. they do advertise in the F1 without actually be in the race.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
They surley have the $ more so then Ferrari.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 20C4S
Porsche is smart though. they do advertise in the F1 without actually be in the race.
hehe very good point

i suppose the cost outweighs their potential gains from having a presence in F1.

you have to realize porsche cares very much about money these days, they are slightly losing touch with their racing history/soul.

they must think like a corporation, sure it would be nice to have a racing presence, but they will sell their road cars anyway.

however, companies like renault, ferrari, they need F1 to differentiate/place them above their competitors.

Last edited by Moogle; 03-22-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Tom were u trying to say anything??

Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
no Arling, just padding my post count per usualé

Old 03-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MKW
No "big daddy" corporate owner selling millions of other cars per year to amortize/hide the true costs .
This is the reason, IMO. Ferrari has Fiat to bankroll their playing in F1. Plus, even more so than Porsche, Ferrari lives on a knife's edge. If their popularity goes down even a little, since their sales are so limited, they could take a serious drubbing financially. They need to be in people's faces and keep a high profile.

Porsche may have "lost touch" with its racing soul, but would Porsche owners/fans prefer a Porsche that raced, but was owned by VW? Hmm, interesting poll idea.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Adrift
They need to be in people's faces and keep a high profile.
interesting for a company that does zero advertising. it's cute though when porsche advertises their SUV during the big boys race.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
interesting for a company that does zero advertising. it's cute though when porsche advertises their SUV during the big boys race.
A valid point, but could Ferrari survive without the street cred racing gives it? I dunno, but it seems Porsche has "diversified" itself away from racing enough to be able to survive not doing it. Could Ferrari do the same thing?

I especially like how they directly market the SUV to women, at least with respect to that one commercial.

I find it humorous when any particular Porsche is called "a woman's car" because truth be told, when I look behind the wheel of almost any Porsche, more often than not it is a woman driving. Especially if you are talking the older, "classic" 911s. lol

Old 03-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
Porsche in F1?

Porsche has had only one foray (as a car company anyway) into Formula 1. That was in the early 60's. After a time of success in F2 they went "up market to F1". Dan Gurney was one of thier drivers. He did win ONE race but the whole experience was not good for them. Also it wasn't connected as closely they felt with their fan base, which was in sports cars.

Early on Porsche designed an F1 car for Cisitalia and the legend is that this funded the sports car beginnings.

Also Porsche did the engine design and production (I think) for the "TAG" (Technique D'Avant Guarde) motors for MacClaren in the Turbo era. These motors were very successful in the chassis.

In other single seater venues Porsche has had mixed results. They did build some Indy cars driven by Danny Ongais and Teo Fabi amongst others. These also did not do very well. I know a fellow in our local club who has one of the moncoques from Porsche and he has fitted it with a flat six normally aspirated motor to drive.

But, in the final analysis Porsche without some substantial outside backing would probably be ill advised to get into F1.

As I've said before the Porsche Cup cars and RSR's are truly developments from our street cars and there may be more racing DNA earned for the street cars that way anyway.

But.........I'd still love to see them back into prototypes at LeMans!

Old 03-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Who gives a crap. F1 is so ****in' boring this season anyways. It's like watchin' Bobby Fisher play speed chess.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Official Dipshit 2006
shiggins is infamous around these parts
I thought this season was actually turning out pretty interesting. It is nice to see toyota doing well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Isn't Porsche In F1?