996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
For those that want to see the pivot shaft in detail, click on my blog, and it is about the 6th or 7th post down I think.

He has some great images here. Definately worth a look. He cheated, removed the engine.

So the pivot shaft cap is an "SOB" even with the motor out? The part that kicked my **** was not being able to get leverage because of the cramped space.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
For those that want to see the pivot shaft in detail, click on my blog, and it is about the 6th or 7th post down I think.
Your blog is a bit scary....

Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Talisman013
He has some great images here. Definately worth a look. He cheated, removed the engine.

So the pivot shaft cap is an "SOB" even with the motor out? The part that kicked my **** was not being able to get leverage because of the cramped space.

Haha, yea, way more work to R&R the motor, but you can see things easier which is why I took the pictures, so guys just pulling the tranny could at least see what they are grabbing at The plug really isn't bad out of the car, I have never dropped a motor to do the clutch, I have always done them just by pulling the tranny, but in the air, above your head, you are just kind of stabbing blind and trying to grab the plug, which makes it a pain on occasion due to access. Sometimes they come right out, other times....not so much. I usually use a needle nose vise grip when doing it "engine in"

Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Your blog is a bit scary....
lol, nah, just change your oil often

Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Excellent well done :-)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
added a few more pics, does the formatting work? Too messy?

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, yesterday a friend of mine said me that usually one has to "find" the correct position (angular position relatively to the crackshaft position) for the flywheel/clutch assembly, otherwise the assembly will be not balanced with the cranckshaft and it will vibrate a lot. He said you need a special tool to do so.

Any word on this?Is it BS?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Hey guys, yesterday a friend of mine said me that usually one has to "find" the correct position (angular position relatively to the crackshaft position) for the flywheel/clutch assembly, otherwise the assembly will be not balanced with the cranckshaft and it will vibrate a lot. He said you need a special tool to do so.

Any word on this?Is it BS?

I hope he is wrong. I didnt know anything about this. Anyone?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
nice write-up !

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Just some pointer that you could add to your very well made DIY (which i wish i had when i did mine), to get the black platic cap on the clutch shaft with the pliers, it is very hard, i found an other way.

get an other of those 6mm bolt, a little longer than the one to pull the shaft and if you insert it in the starter hole, at the end of the shaft, in the transmission housing where the bearing on the passenger side is, there is a small hole in the middle in which you can insert it and push the shaft towards the driver side, this will will pop the black plastic cap out and then you can use your other bolt to thread in the shaft and pull like you mentionned. Just put the bolt in the hole and with a small prybar, you can pry it straight.

i took your picture and put an arrow to show where you can insert the bolt, we would need a closer look though

Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
about the angle you install it, isn't there some sort of a pin which prevents you from putting it in the wrong way? Don't you have a pin to align with a hole in the crankshaft?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
Just some pointer that you could add to your very well made DIY (which i wish i had when i did mine), to get the black platic cap on the clutch shaft with the pliers, it is very hard, i found an other way.

get an other of those 6mm bolt, a little longer than the one to pull the shaft and if you insert it in the starter hole, at the end of the shaft, in the transmission housing where the bearing on the passenger side is, there is a small hole in the middle in which you can insert it and push the shaft towards the driver side, this will will pop the black plastic cap out and then you can use your other bolt to thread in the shaft and pull like you mentionned. Just put the bolt in the hole and with a small prybar, you can pry it straight.

i took your picture and put an arrow to show where you can insert the bolt, we would need a closer look though

Brilliant! this would also keep the passenger side roller bearing from getting stuck.

Last edited by Talisman013; 03-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
about the angle you install it, isn't there some sort of a pin which prevents you from putting it in the wrong way? Don't you have a pin to align with a hole in the crankshaft?

That is EXACTLY right. Whoa, I am glad you reminded me of that, I was fearing the worst. You cannot put it on wrong. I should have taken more pics. I had the intention of doing the DIY all along, but when you are in the swing of things and making progress, you forget to take pics/video.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
agreed, i also took pictures of mine but nothing that might be helpfull.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
OK, great! This is what I was thinking about...To me, it would have sounded SO stupid if crank and flywheel weren't engineered without some reference points..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Clutch Install