996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rattle from engine with vid thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
porkypig is infamous around these parts
Rattle from engine with vid thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poObT6nnIRM

Any one have any ideas sounds pretty bad huh

IMS fail? when cold car sounds mint makes a slight clicking on initial start up but presume thats oil going round then silent.After 5-10 mins of running this noise starts, then after maybe 30 mins when fully warn is silent again, if revd noise goes.PLZ ideas dealer has agreed to take car back or fix so not soo worried but want to keep the car tbh thoughts and advice.

Porky

Last edited by porkypig; 03-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Any one have any ideas sounds pretty bad huh

IMS fail? when cold car sounds mint makes a slight clicking on initial start up but presume thats oil going round then silent.After 5-10 mins of running this noise starts, then after maybe 30 mins when fully warm is silent again, if revd noise goes.PLZ ideas dealer has agreed to take car back or fix so not soo worried but want to keep the car tbh thoughts and advice.

Porky

Last edited by porkypig; 03-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Good chance it's IMS failure. If your lucky it could be a failed chain tensioner, but either way, I think you have to go in and find it, as worse can/will happen if you drive it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Thx i was hoping it was one of these things i really want to keep the car tbh.The dealer has car booed in for monday for engine out and find problem and fix soo im going to go with that.I presumethe car will be minty mint and good for 1000s of miles once rectified.he engine is actually a really quiet 2003 car with 60k miles on so is a nice car and i got her for a good price soo really want to keep.Plus note dealer is letting me have a merc while work carried out bonus, he defo is no flyby nite and has jumped in straight away no argument about having what ever needs to be done done.Would recomend him to everyone.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Is the car under warranty? If not and if it's the IMS...be prepared for a huge bill. Depending on what your dealer charges, it could be cheaper to buy a new engine and most likely cheaper to put in a used engine. They should at least check the tensioners before removing the engine.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Im not paying for any repair bill car was bought just under 2 weeks ago and he is liable for the bill.What ever it is he said he will get it fixed!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
That's great. The IMS repair is very expensive, if you have to foot the bill...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Under the sale of goods act here in the uk i can demand fix or refund and he is intitled to fix and not do refund but thats up to him.As i said i want the car love the car and the dealer independant seems like a top guy no argument at all.I asked if i would get all recitpes for work carried out etc he said yes.He phoned his local porsche specilist and they said the engine will have to come out etc.So im sure he knows what kinda bill hes looking at.

Edit to say he is a top end dealer and sells porkas bentleys etc has nice 997 turbo there, he knew all about ims stuff and noises he seemdd no stranger to these things.I also sent him the vid and he agreed that defo somthing isnt right and needs to be sorted.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
It's really odd that the noise starts and stops- almost seems like it's related to the A/C compressor cycling on and off. When the noise stops, the motor sounds fairly normal.

is your A/C on when it's making this noise?

I'd start by removing the oil filter and cutting it open to look for metal shavings.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Sounds like you are in good hands...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I bet there are a bunch of tappets coming apart as well at 60k.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
What's the cost for all the 24 tappets? I see them at a staggering 100€/piece on the intake and 50€/piece on the exh. MSRP.....I hope they can be found for less..

Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by emadelta86
What's the cost for all the 24 tappets? I see them at a staggering 100€/piece on the intake and 50€/piece on the exh. MSRP.....I hope they can be found for less..
Lower ones typically are ok as they are not a variable lift tappet. It is the 12 upper ones that have the issue. I was quoted from sunset not long ago for about $90 a tappet. Still not cheap.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM
She is booked in for monday so a few days after im sure i will update the post with details on the findings, im sure all you 996tt owners would love to know of sources of noises like this as it seems a common complaint.Maybe not as loud as mine but lotts of posts i see about knocking and rattling.Is there anything you guys would advice i get done if the engine is being spit?

Nige

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
How common is this? What causes it? I saw that you were doing a blog on the white 996TT with tapet failures, but I have not heard of it being common.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattle from engine with vid thoughts