996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercoolers: apples to apples to oranges to cantelopes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Question Intercoolers: apples to apples to oranges to cantelopes

And what I meant by that title is, there are a TON of different options out there for intercoolers. I've got SEVEN tabs for seven different manufacturers open in my browser right now, and I'm sure that I'm not covering all of my bases here.

Currently on my list: (incidentally, priced lowest to highest)
  • USP Motorsports 3.5"
  • Agency Power/Vivid 3.5"
  • 911tuning 3.5" (stock endtank connection -or- 2.25" connection)
  • Fabspeed (I think 3.5" and possibly the same as EVOMS? Their descriptions are identical)
  • EVOMS Clubsport 3.5"
  • AWE Tuning 3.5" (includes silicone hoses kit)
  • 911tuning 4.5" (different looking design w/ respect to inlet/outlet pipes)
  • TPC Racing 5"

So, about my car: I'm currently doing a motor build and plan on starting out in the 600-650whp range when it all goes back together. When I get bored with that power I will upgrade the turbos, fuel, and tune to touch on 800-850whp. I won't cruise around town at that power level, I'll prolly bring it down into the low 700 range. And that is really ALL this car will be doing - cruising around town. I'm not really interested in taking my car to the track, but I do like to stretch my vehicles legs any chance I get. Also, during the summer months here in northern VA, temps in the mid to upper 90's with LOTS of humidity are not uncommon. So any help I can get in the IAT department would be beneficial.

Now what I'm wondering is: What intercoolers are you all running? Any particular reason you're running that intercooler? Do any of the aforementioned intercoolers come 'coated' (HP or Swain) out of the box, or would they all need to be shipped off for this? Is a heat dissipating coating worth it for our cars - or these proposed power levels - or with that kind of summer heat? (I know cjv has weighed in on this in the past) From looking at the manufacturers pictures, it would appear that all of these intercoolers will bolt up to the factory shrouding on my car - with the exception of the 911tuning 4.5" set. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here... just going by the pics that were available online) In any case, I feel like this would be important and beneficial to the coolers effectiveness. Also, every shop has used their own intercoolers on their own cars with great success - as it to be expected. I've seen a few random threads on here with actual dyno results (ie: everyone who has forked out for the TPC set has been very happy) and there are even a bunch of threads suggesting the 997.2 intercoolers as viable alternatives to these pricier units.

So again, I'm looking for some feedback from those who have already taken the plunge... Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by atisvt99; 03-13-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Forgot to add, I have read dozens and dozens of posts on the topic... I'm no stranger to the 'search' button.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
How about info about your build, turbos and etc?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
In this case bigger is better

Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
I'm going to go with ETS once I get my next mod which will be the EPL Tune and then 710n dvs, boost hoses...and then ETS ics..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,,I did notice that my car, with my combination, performed better with my butt dyno...There are alot of them out there,as there are alot of threads on this subject to research..Maskski has alot of detailed info and pictures in his past threads on this topic.When I was in the market for them, he did not have them ready and went with my AWEs.Which I am very pleased with....It may sound like alot for some of theses I/Cs but look how much we spend on exhausts...lol...Any good tuner, that plays on the dyno, will tell you they are worth it....All I can tell you also is,stick with one that has bigger inlet and outlet size connections which means different hoses ,its a helpful upgrade for less restriction.....Hope this helps

Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
So any help I can get in the IAT department would be beneficial.
Let me ask this:

In your list of cooler choices, which manufacturers actually before and after provide temperature data?

(hint: you just knocked 5 manufacturers off your list)

Last edited by earl3; 03-13-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't plan to track the car > get the best flowing IC's out there. IMO.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Blockhed
How about info about your build, turbos and etc?
I'm fortifying my engine (Pauter rods, ?brand? head studs, coated bearings, very minor port work on the heads, etc etc...) and will for now, run billet 18G or perhaps 20G turbos. I will eventually upgrade my fuel system to handle a bigger turbo (GT30 something or other) and install said turbo. But other than fuel, and perhaps some throttle body / plenum mods, I'll have all my supporting mods in place - hard turbo piping, silicone hoses, clutch, upgraded life insurance, etc...

Originally Posted by edelectra
In this case bigger is better
This is what my girlfriend keeps telling me...

Originally Posted by vntperformance
I'm going to go with ETS once I get my next mod which will be the EPL Tune and then 710n dvs, boost hoses...and then ETS ics..
I've looked on ETS' website and haven't seen squat for our cars. I guess I would need to call them? I know they have been very big players in the EVO and Suby world... I don't know much about their cores though. Got any insight here?

Originally Posted by emadelta86
You don't plan to track the car > get the best flowing IC's out there. IMO.
I agree with this to an extent... best flowing doesn't always mean best cooling. There's a lot of theory to this subject that needs to be researched and decided on. Not that we need to go into that in this thread - as it's already been covered many many times on this and other boards, but I need to figure out what cooler (core and end tanks) work best for my own application. And that application is simply beating the crap out of my car on a daily basis on the street and sometimes in some pretty miserable (hot n' humid) weather!

Thanks for the input thus far fellas...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
ETS or markski are probably ones worth a closer look perhaps...core size, end tank design are key as is mating design to hoses...TPC blitzkrieg units look amazing but are quite expensive relative to the others out there it seems!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
There aren't that many companies that make intercooler cores. A lot of the companies people THINK make them actually don't, like Spearco.
The last I knew the Garrett cores were the best ones you could get (from a cooling perspective), that's what the ETS intercoolers look like. Porsche people seem to like Bell too.

If you want to know what works, ask the 4G63/EVO guys. They try everything, run similar turbos, and then run VP Import fuel and 60psi of boost. If it works for them, it will work for us .

Something of note though - I see a lot of people referencing pressure drop and flowbench numbers on intercoolers. If you have hot air and you cool it, it will become more dense and hence drop the pressure. All things being equal you have an intercooler on the car to lower your compressor outlet temps. Ironically that's also the most pressure drop. Seems kind of funny to watch people try to get the intercooler with the least pressure drop and the best cooling since they are directly related to each other.

Last edited by rix; 03-15-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Justin,

Setup solenoids to spray nitrous on the stock ICs for the quick blasts here and there and call it a day.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
There aren't that many companies that make intercooler cores. A lot of the companies people THINK make them actually don't, like Spearco.
The last I knew the Garrett cores were the best ones you could get (from a cooling perspective), that's what the ETS intercoolers look like. Porsche people seem to like Bell too.

If you want to know what works, ask the 4G63/EVO guys. They try everything, run similar turbos, and then run VP Import fuel and 60psi of boost. If it works for them, it will work for us .

Something of note though - I see a lot of people referencing pressure drop and flowbench numbers on intercoolers. If you have hot air and you cool it, it will become more dense and hence drop the pressure. All things being equal you have an intercooler on the car to lower your compressor outlet temps. Ironically that's also the most pressure drop. Seems kind of funny to watch people try to get the intercooler with the least pressure drop and the best cooling since they are directly related to each other.
LOL... I also agree with you. That's why you do not use any pre intercooler ports for wastegates or boost controllers.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Let me ask this:

In your list of cooler choices, which manufacturers actually before and after provide temperature data?

(hint: you just knocked 5 manufacturers off your list)
You Sir are my new best friend. This should be standard data posted by anyone selling an IC kit.

Here is our data:

Please note, this was from a Gen1 997TT.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,,I did notice that my car, with my combination, performed better with my butt dyno...There are alot of them out there,as there are alot of threads on this subject to research..Maskski has alot of detailed info and pictures in his past threads on this topic.When I was in the market for them, he did not have them ready and went with my AWEs.Which I am very pleased with....It may sound like alot for some of theses I/Cs but look how much we spend on exhausts...lol...Any good tuner, that plays on the dyno, will tell you they are worth it....All I can tell you also is,stick with one that has bigger inlet and outlet size connections which means different hoses ,its a helpful upgrade for less restriction.....Hope this helps
John, thanks for the kind words.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercoolers: apples to apples to oranges to cantelopes