996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

storing tires in the cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
snopdog911 is infamous around these parts
storing tires in the cold

how bad is it to store summer tires in the cold during winter?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Check the specifications for the tires. Some you can't store below 17 F.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
It's not so important for street tires although 45 degrees is supposedly the limit for driving on them. I have driven on them in below freezing temps but never tried to push them. I store my R compound tires in a 60 degree basement because they do permanently change for the worse from low temps.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Given that most polymeric materials 'age' in relationship to temperature, lower temps for storage (uninflated) would give the best lifetime, IMO

Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
DTM-POW3R is infamous around these parts
Does not make any difference. I've won, won a race on a set of 8yr old new tires.

I have 3 sets in my garage that have been thru hundreds of heat cycles as low as 35*

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Lea en español

The ADVAN Neova AD08 is Yokohama's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans that have a passion for sport driving. The ADVAN Neova AD08 is designed to provide high levels of traction, responsive handling and driving control on dry and wet roads, however it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The ADVAN Neova AD08 tread compound combines fine particle, Micro Silica (MS) with Hyper Density Carbon (HDC) to provide adhesion in damp and dry conditions. This compound is molded into a directional tread pattern that features twin circumferential center ribs and extra-wide Uniblock shoulders to increase cornering stability and steering response. Three large circumferential grooves and HydroArc Channels in the shoulders enhance wet traction. The tire's internal structure includes two wide steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide strength and high-speed capability while the sidewalls are reinforced with steel cord inserts to resist lateral deflection and enhance control and cornering stability.

Like the motorsports tires this Extreme Performance street tire has evolved from, the ADVAN Neova AD08 radial's construction and compounds have been tuned to maximize the tire's traction and performance within a specific range of ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly-tuned tires, Yokohama's care instructions specify that due to its compound characteristics, ADVAN Neova tires must be used and stored at temperatures above -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) to maintain its performance and avoid tire damage.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,As I know from my racing tires recommendations over the past years....Store tires in a cool,dry and dark storage place.........