996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

shaking steering wheel at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by godxilla
My 01 996tt steering wheel shakes at highway speeds. I have had my wheels balanced several times and the shaking keeps on coming back. My wheels are stock but they are powder coated. Tires are new.
After they are balanced they don't shake for about 50 miles. But then they start up again.

Any ideas what is going on.
Couple of things:

1) Load force balanced? This should not only result in nearly perfect balanced tires but the tech should note a tire/wheel that requires too much weight to balance properly which can be due to a wheel being damaged or a tire defective. If the tech knows what he's doing he should be able to spot a wheel that has too much run out (the factory manual gives a callout on too much runout) or even a tire that has runout.

When you take the car back to have the tires rebalanced are the tires out of balance? Is a wheel weight being lost? The tire tech ought to be able to spot the missing weight(s).

2) What brand of tires? N-rated? N-rated tires are recommended and are supposed to be made at one factory (for each tire brand) to control quality. If you buy a non N-rated tire the tires can be made anywhere and in fact could be made at 4 different factories.

3) I hope that the tires are checked for proper inflation pressure cold. I have found overinflated tires and not overinflated by too many PSI can introduce a vibration symptom that is impossible to tell from a tire imbalance problem that no amount of tire balancing will correct.

4) When was the car last treated a proper 4 wheel alignment? Even if the car is not necessarily exhibiting the more obvious symptoms of mis-alignment and the tire wear is even, a mis-alignment can produce wheel imbalance symptoms.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
^^ This n-rated nonsense again?

I've had N rated tires fail roadforce. Absolutely could not be 'balanced' due to felx variations in the carcase. Michelin P2s... exchanged with NO questions.