996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rolling fenders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 AM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The racerx
I don't know if I would want to do it with that tool above, seems like a battle between those 2 different pieces of metal. I would not want any even minor warping of anything that spins as fast as an axle or brake disc. Any out of balance amount will create major problems.

I do not offer any advice nor do I suggest a way to do this as it may be dangerous. Research and pay a professional. I have seen it done with sports equipment, but I forget the particulars.
Originally Posted by BretW
Not sure if you understand how the roller works. Nothing is spinning and it's not dangerous. The roller is adjusted by by small screw jacks to maintain pressure on the lip and it's moved back and forth by hand. The Eastwood has slots and different bolt patterns. I'll try it on my turbo and see if it fits.

2 DIFFERENT thoughts in my first post, 1 in each paragraph.

1) Referring to the roller device -- by using that you are applying mechanical force on both the sheet metal body work and the brake disk/axle. Anyone doing this is assuming all force goes 100% against the body work. This is wishful thinking. The axle is stronger but both pieces are feeling force. Any minute bit that the axle or bearings or brake disc get pushed out of alignment during this hand procedure could result in a vibration at speed when the car is being driven later on.

2) Fender rolling is quite common amongst 928 owners. Other than that I will not expand on it as I don't advise it and would say hire a professional. I used dangerous as a disclaimer but any of these messing with factory settings things could be dangerous if done by the wrong person.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
This is the 100% solution. Do it once and have it done by a pro. No paint cracking, fender liners tuck under the rolled lip and if you have PCCB rotors no chance of chipping them. The cost is minor compared to a botched job. Body work is an art not a science.
+1 Totally agree!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed w/ the others. When I said it was simple and easy, I was watching a pro do it, and he made it look simple and easy lol. I wouldn't for the life of me want to do it myself. You only roll fenders once, so pay someone to do it right.