996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Carrera Cab vs. GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Bx2
Bx2 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up 996 Carrera Cab vs. GT2

I bought a 2002 996 GT2 last summer, triple black, 30,000 miles, excellent condition, $75,000. I added a few standard mods, GIAC tune, carbonetic LSD, diverter valves, it had a GMG exhaust already. Took it to Willow Springs for a track day and had a great time until I hit gravel on the track in turn 6 when someone had gone off on the previous lap, causing me to spin off the track into the infield. This car has enthralled me.
My wife decided she wanted a Porsche, so last week we bought a 2003 996 Cabriolet, Tiptronic, 15,000 miles, triple black, $35,000. At first I gritted my teeth at buying a Porsche with an auto, but have since changed my mind and like the Tip. I still get a little annoyed that it starts out in 2nd gear and make a lurching shift into 1st with heavy throttle when I want to accelerate hard from a stop. The easy solution is to put it in manual mode and use the rocker switches to shift into first at a stop. We have been having a great time driving the Cab, it helps that it was in the mid-80’s last week in SoCal. My favorite is to drive with the top open in the evening with the heater and the seat heaters on and the windows up to create a cozy warm bubble with the open night sky above. Handling is quick and very neutral, one would have to be hamfisted with a clubfoot to spin this car. Acceleration is surprisingly strong and entertaining. Everyone in the family just loves to drive this car.
Then I get back in the GT2…
The black *****, as I lovingly call her, is an intensely challenging experience. Before your turn the key, you had better bring your “A Game”, or else she will try to kill you. Every curve is a complex calculus equation, intersecting lateral and forward acceleration along with an increasingly steep boost and power curve to see how close you can get to the edge before flying sideways or backwards into the trees. Even accelerating in a straight line it squirms as it fights for traction at it hits 1.2 bars of boost. I could drive it relaxed, but then it seems to mock me, “drive a Prius if you want to drive like the eco-nerds driving at 5 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane.” Demanding, intense, and addictive. My wife is intimidated and will not drive the GT2.
It is hard to believe that the two cars share the same DNA with two completely different driving experiences. Glad to have both in the garage.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bx2
I bought a 2002 996 GT2 last summer, triple black, 30,000 miles, excellent condition, $75,000. I added a few standard mods, GIAC tune, carbonetic LSD, diverter valves, it had a GMG exhaust already. Took it to Willow Springs for a track day and had a great time until I hit gravel on the track in turn 6 when someone had gone off on the previous lap, causing me to spin off the track into the infield. This car has enthralled me.
My wife decided she wanted a Porsche, so last week we bought a 2003 996 Cabriolet, Tiptronic, 15,000 miles, triple black, $35,000. At first I gritted my teeth at buying a Porsche with an auto, but have since changed my mind and like the Tip. I still get a little annoyed that it starts out in 2nd gear and make a lurching shift into 1st with heavy throttle when I want to accelerate hard from a stop. The easy solution is to put it in manual mode and use the rocker switches to shift into first at a stop. We have been having a great time driving the Cab, it helps that it was in the mid-80’s last week in SoCal. My favorite is to drive with the top open in the evening with the heater and the seat heaters on and the windows up to create a cozy warm bubble with the open night sky above. Handling is quick and very neutral, one would have to be hamfisted with a clubfoot to spin this car. Acceleration is surprisingly strong and entertaining. Everyone in the family just loves to drive this car.
Then I get back in the GT2…
The black *****, as I lovingly call her, is an intensely challenging experience. Before your turn the key, you had better bring your “A Game”, or else she will try to kill you. Every curve is a complex calculus equation, intersecting lateral and forward acceleration along with an increasingly steep boost and power curve to see how close you can get to the edge before flying sideways or backwards into the trees. Even accelerating in a straight line it squirms as it fights for traction at it hits 1.2 bars of boost. I could drive it relaxed, but then it seems to mock me, “drive a Prius if you want to drive like the eco-nerds driving at 5 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane.” Demanding, intense, and addictive. My wife is intimidated and will not drive the GT2.
It is hard to believe that the two cars share the same DNA with two completely different driving experiences. Glad to have both in the garage.
Absolutely, exactly how I feel about the GT2. THE definitive driver's Car. It demands so much of you as a driver that the bar is set pretty high if you want to own one.

No electronic Nannies, no "video game" controls, no laws of physics defying aids to save you when you run out of talent... Just the Widowmaker and you.. Are you good enough? it asks you every time you sit behind the wheel..

Nice writing by the way; very well put.

Cheers.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have never considered myself as a good driver; therefore my setup is your least exciting part; however I do have 510 awhp when I need them.

It takes a little knowledge to driver the tip efficiently. For example, you don't need to shift to the manual mode to down shift to 1st; auth mode would do too.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Bmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant futureBmw M3 Guy has a brilliant future
Where did you find an '03 for $35,000?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
One of the most thrilling feats in my life time has been to manhandle and know the GT2 inside out.... I have done so, well so to speak (as much as my tires/setup will allow), and it's been quite the journey!

Great write up

Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Bx2
I'll post photos of the cars when I make some time. Thanks for the writing feedback. I searched autotrader online and found the 03 Cab at CarMax. They provided a Carfax reports that made me satisfied with the low miles.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Bx2
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I have never considered myself as a good driver; therefore my setup is your least exciting part; however I do have 510 awhp when I need them.

It takes a little knowledge to driver the tip efficiently. For example, you don't need to shift to the manual mode to down shift to 1st; auth mode would do too.
What is auth mode? Is there a way to have the auto trans start in 1st gear by pushing a magic sequence of buttons? I read through the owner's manual and did not find anything about this feature of the Tiptronic.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Sorry, I meant Auto (Drive) mode. I used the rocker switches in D mode all the time. Especially when I'm racing someone, there is no way I can time the rpm better than the computer.

I only use M mode when driving aggressively on windy roads, when I don't want a gear change by the computer.

Originally Posted by Bx2
What is auth mode? Is there a way to have the auto trans start in 1st gear by pushing a magic sequence of buttons? I read through the owner's manual and did not find anything about this feature of the Tiptronic.

Last edited by MY996TT; 04-04-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MY996TT
Sorry, I meant Auto (Drive) mode. I used the rocker switches in D mode all the time. Especially when I'm racing someone, there is no way I can time the rpm better than the computer.

I only use M mode when driving aggressively on windy roads, when I don't want a gear change by the computer.
Uh -- racing someone?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bmw M3 Guy
Where did you find an '03 for $35,000?
Is it a Turbo?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Is it a Turbo?
They didn't make a Turbo cab in 03. So it has to be an N/A 996

Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
TurboCab is infamous around these parts
I've seen several ads for 2003 turbo cab's including this one:
http://www.supercarsite.net/porsche/...cabriolet/2003

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Bx2
Originally Posted by Screamin911
It's a N/A Cab. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised with the acceleration.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Screamin911
That's what I thought. So the price seems reasonable considering. I love the cabs.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TurboCab
I've seen several ads for 2003 turbo cab's including this one:
http://www.supercarsite.net/porsche/...cabriolet/2003
That car is not in the US and its not a sales ad. Maybe they didn't start selling turbo cabs here until 04? There is not even an option for 2003 turbo cabs on kbb.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera Cab vs. GT2