996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Refinishing Alloys - What Colour?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Very well spotted!

I actually like small wheels

Small wheels, low offsets, and negative camber = good times

I like brushed centres, but I think they look better on flat faced wheels like yours

Do you think brushed centres on a round faced wheel would look good?

And if I did go for a brushed centre, what would I do with the centre caps?
I do too, I am looking to get myself a set of fikse fm5's (5 star stepped lip) which is a similar design in 18". If you give the car a nice drop and tough stance they work well if you have low offsets.

I hear what your saying about the brushed centers and you have a point, I personally was thinking about doing the centers of the next set of wheels in a flat light grey and then high shine polished lips for some major contrast. Could be an option for you also, i think it would give an illusion of the wheel face really being tucked into the car and the lips to be magnified at the edge of the fender

Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
They were clear coated when new

Because the rim is polished there isn't much 'mechanical adhesion' for the clear coat to stick to the rim, and so it peels off

The clearcoat also tends to crack around the perimeter bolts

Water gets under the clearcoat and causes it to lift

A possible way around this might be to go for a brushed finish rather than polished so the clear coat has something to 'grab' onto, and to clear coat them after the perimeter bolts are fitted and not before

What do you think?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I do too, I am looking to get myself a set of fikse fm5's (5 star stepped lip) which is a similar design in 18". If you give the car a nice drop and tough stance they work well if you have low offsets.

I hear what your saying about the brushed centers and you have a point, I personally was thinking about doing the centers of the next set of wheels in a flat light grey and then high shine polished lips for some major contrast. Could be an option for you also, i think it would give an illusion of the wheel face really being tucked into the car and the lips to be magnified at the edge of the fender
I was actually asking about those fikse wheels just recently - they're amazing

I know what you mean about stance - I still remember the pictures you posted of your car

Two of the ones that really stick in my mind are a side profile - car facing towards the left......and a close up shot of the rear, showing the offset on the drivers side

Those pictures and your car look brilliant

Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
I could do with getting mine lowered to get the stance right

Here are some (bad) pics to show the offset of my rears