996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Refinishing Alloys - What Colour?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Refinishing Alloys - What Colour?

Ok guys

My split rims need refinishing again, and I'm looking for opinions

Last time I refinished them I had the centres painted silver and the outer rims polished

They looked great.....until the weather caused the rims to oxidise

So, I'll be stripping them again, and this time I'll be anodising the rims

But.....what about the centres?

What should I go for with regards to colour and finish?

Car is black on black

Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
back centers with a polished lip would look nice...or maybe silver centers with a black lip to match the car...black lip may make the wheel appear smaller though but I think it would look rather stealthy and aggressive!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Just recently I've seen some nice lambo wheels

The car was yellow
The wheel centres were black
The wheel rims were yellow

So.......black centres, with rims painted body colour

I thought this looked quite nice
Not sure it'd work on my car though

And, if I did go for something like this, I'd have to do it slightly differently as the body colour is black - therefore black centres and body coloured rims = all black

So, what should I do?
Black centres with a different coloured rim.......red, yellow, white, orange, green????

Or, should I just go for a silver centre and polished rim?

Last edited by ant_8u; 04-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Ok, here are my final choices (maybe)

Silver centre & Polished lip
Red centre & Polished lip
White centre & Polished lip

White centre and gloss black lip

What do we think?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
personally I like bronze or gold center and polished lip but I'm also old school...

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I would really like to do gold centres

I'm not sure it'd suit the style of my wheels though

Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
can you post pics of how you had them before?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 AM
This is what they originally look like

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Original finish, on a black car

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Red centres, on a silver VW

Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM
White centres (slight difference in design) on a black VW

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Black on black on black on black is safe but uninspiring.

Adding a color to the center is eyecatching IF you pick the correct color. Yellow would really make a statement if you're into making statements.

Since I'm color challenged I'd personally go with a metallic hue; silver, bronze, gold, etc. Those are colors that anodize well.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
If you notice the pics you posted, some wheels are painted around the rivets (white example), and some people have the rivets around the wheel match the lips (red example). If I am not mistaken i think the style you have is called a sandwich mount (similar to the red example). If you paint the centers a different color the wheel is going to look very small.

I think you should keep them silver how you had them, or you should do them brushed which will really pop on your black car.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Very well spotted!

The White wheels are front mounted

The red wheels (the same as mine) are rear mounted - so look like a sandwich mount

The centres are actually 17" and the rim and barrel are 'stepped' to fit make them 18" (which also keeps the weight down)

They would therefore look tiny if the centres were painted a different colour

I actually like small wheels

Small wheels, low offsets, and negative camber = good times

I like brushed centres, but I think they look better on flat faced wheels like yours

Do you think brushed centres on a round faced wheel would look good?

And if I did go for a brushed centre, what would I do with the centre caps?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
why dont you have the lips clear coated to protect them from the elements. thats how mine are done currently. yes you loose a little shine but cleaning them is so much easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Refinishing Alloys - What Colour?