996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Sensor Light just came on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Also, whilst I'm at it I measured my tyre tread

Inside edge 1.7mm
Outside edge 3.4mm

The outside looks like it has a load of tread left

Does that wear seem in keeping with others?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Sorry

Tyre tread is 3.5mm inside edge
5.3mm outside edge

The first measurements were down to the indicator in the tread itself

Does that wear still sound correct?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Rears discs are 27.7mm

Do they need changing too?

Ive got ~ 1.6mm to 1.7mm of thickness before I get down to the minimum

Is that a massive amount, or will that wear out in no time?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Just measured my front discs

33.6mm

I'm guessing it's new front pads and discs then?

Just about to measure the rears now
I would not change them now! A new one is 34mm and the minimum is 32mm. You got only .4 mm of wear.... So you can go for another set of pads before replacing the discs.... Same thing for the back even less wear....New= 28mm you got only .3mm of wear...Still a long way to go....

For the tire wear, unfortunately more wear inside the tires is normal....Especially the rear ones will wear a lot faster inside.... But my front ones the wear is almost equal....

Last edited by jpflip; 04-17-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Sweeeeet!
Thanks for the info mate, really do appreciate it

The next question is this....
I've just measured the amount of 'pad' that's left

It's not easy to measure, but it looks like there's 5mm-6mm of material left

That seems like quite a bit to me

What do you think?

I'm trying to get a picture, but the quality is bad and you can't see anything

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
The pad wear limits is 2mm but I normally replaced them at 3mm , just before it touch the sensor. A new pad is about 12mm - 3mm (safe margin) a life of a pad is about 9mm . So if you got 5mm you did not go half of his life yet... Hope you understand my french accent

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Perfectly understood

Just need to figure out why my sensor is coming on

Bad wire perhaps?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I assume pad wear is pretty even?

The bit I can see is 5-6mm

Is the bit I can't see also ~5mm?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
You can have uneven wear of the pads. Sometimes due to the malfunction of a piston on the caliper (4 per calipers on oem), rust on cylinders walls etc...And because of that you got one of the wear sensor that touch the disc... Take a look at all four sensors (8 positions) and if they are away from the disc and never touch it you have short on one of them.... To found which one is at fault you need to replace one sensor and see if you found the fault if it is still there you go to the next one.... Continuity testing will not give you the fault....

Last edited by jpflip; 04-19-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Right then - I think I may have found the source of my problem

Whilst walking towards my car after work this evening I saw a mouse underneath it

As I got closer, it climbed up into the engine bay.........little bastard

So, I'm thinking it may have eaten through something, or pulled something loose

With this in mind, what parts could it have tampered with which may have triggered the sensor?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
OUCH! If you did not found anything else at fault you are lucky. But take care of this asap before it make more damage. Really hard to tell you were to look but I would start with the front trunk right side (in your case) were the big bundle of wires is located besides the psm pump.... And from there towards each wheel.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Sorry

Tyre tread is 3.5mm inside edge
5.3mm outside edge

The first measurements were down to the indicator in the tread itself

Does that wear still sound correct?
That wear sounds ok for a misaligned car.

With the car properly aligned, rear tire wear should be even across the tread face, when driven on the street. I have no experience with my car's tire wear on the track cause I've never tracked the car.

Anyhow, my 03 Turbo's rear tires have over 12K miles on then and the wear is even. But I know the alignment is spot on the money too.

If you replace just the pads be sure you take the car out and treat the brakes to a bit of bedding in to help bed in the new pads to the worn rotors.

A couple of high speed slow downs -- do not come a complete stop! -- with little cooldown time in between. Accelerate up to speed, apply the brakes rather hard -- no abs though -- then release the brakes as the car slows to say under 30mph. Accelerate back up to spee and reapply the brakes. Each time you should feel the brakes bite a bit harder.

I do this 2 maybe 3 times and this is bedding enough.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks mate

Those tread measurements were for the fronts

The rears are shot and will be replaced

As the measurements I gave were for the fronts, do they still sound out of whack?

What spec alignment should I go for?

Car is stock and a daily driver

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Just looked at the wiring diagram and the brake pad sensors signal goes directly to the instrument cluster without going into the ABS system. Brown and black wires.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Thanks mate

Those tread measurements were for the fronts

The rears are shot and will be replaced

As the measurements I gave were for the fronts, do they still sound out of whack?

What spec alignment should I go for?

Car is stock and a daily driver
I don't know where you are but in the USA tires are considered worn out when any part of the tread is worn down to the wear bars.

Despite the fact that considerable tread can remain over much of the rest of the tread's face, I believe classifying the tires are worn out is proper.

Next uneven tire wear across the tread face of the rear or front tires is a sign the alignment is out of adjustment. Even if the car exhibits no other symptoms of misalignment.

After running through more tires than I can count I've never had a set of front tires on any of my Porsches wear unevenly. Now once in a while the rear tires will wear unevenly, and always it is rear toe (in/out) one or both sides that is the culprit.

Many owners (me included) just opt for the factory alignment settings. When done right my experience is tire wear, handling, road feel, etc, is perfect for my (street/highway) driving.

However, some like a more agressive alignment with more negative camber at the front to help speed turn in response. Others like more rear camber or less. Yet others like more or less front toe or more or less rear toe or any and all combinations which in their opinion makes the car feel, steer, handle, perform like they like.

I can't recommend anything other than the factory alignment settings. If you want to deviate from those then you'll have to solicit input from those owners that have gone away from the factory settings and who can recommend what they have found they like or don't like and why.

Sincerely,

Macster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Sensor Light just came on