996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Sensor Light just came on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Brake Sensor Light just came on

The warning on the dash just came on saying my brakes need servicing

When I bought the car it had new pads and discs fitted front and back

I'm therefore guessing I need front pads

Am I ok to replace the pads and keep the same discs - assuming the discs are ok when I check them?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
As per Porsche repair manual the brake disc minimum limit is 32mm(1.26 inch) in front and 26 mm (1.02 inch) in the back. If your discs are not scored or damaged and the thickness is over the minimum you should be OK.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Good response - thanks

I'll get the gauge on the discs to check their thickness

Hopefully it's just the pads
We'll soon see

Thanks again

Old 04-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
As per Porsche repair manual the brake disc minimum limit is 32mm(1.26 inch) in front and 26 mm (1.02 inch) in the back. If your discs are not scored or damaged and the thickness is over the minimum you should be OK.
As stated above, but add grooved from the effects of the cross drilling in the damaged area.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Right then

My gauge is round my brothers at the minute, so I'll have to measure them a little later on

I've given them a quick visual inspection, and there's a small lip on the front discs

Should this be of concern, or are they still ok as long as they're thick enough?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Normal to have a lip since the pad is not touching the outer surface of the disc on both side...Thickness is the important factor...

Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
If you have new pads/rotors, there is a good chance that one of your brake sensors failed and gives wrong reading. These should be cheap to replace.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm hoping I'll get 5 minutes to check my brakes tomorrow

With regards to the pads.....

The main ones available over here seem to be;

EBC
PAGID
MINTEX

What are everybody's thoughts on these manufacturers?

(discs and calipers are stock, and will remain so)

Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 07:36 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ant_8u
I'm hoping I'll get 5 minutes to check my brakes tomorrow

With regards to the pads.....

The main ones available over here seem to be;

EBC
PAGID
MINTEX

What are everybody's thoughts on these manufacturers?

(discs and calipers are stock, and will remain so)

Thanks
Would be interested to hear as well. I see Pagid pop up a lot and that was going to be my choice for my street application but would like to hear others chime in that have used others and their opinions.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
I think the pagid's are oem, hence why they pop up a lot?

I think the ebc's (the yellows at least) are means to squeal like a virgin - but what about the greens or reds?

I've not heard anything about the mintex

So guys, as they're all within a few £ of each other which are best for street use, and kindest to my split rims?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
How does the brake sensor work and what does it detect? I assume it's standard on our cars (unlike the tire pressure monitor)? Thanks for any insights.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
The brake sensor is a wire with plastic molding that fits in a hole inside the brake pad. When the pad wears down and rotor starts touching it the brake pad light comes on. It will be intermittent at first but when the sensor wears down more it will light up and stay on, but by then you'll need to change to sensor.

Brake pad selection depends on application. For street I like Porsche pads, especially when doing rotors too since the price difference isnt that much when you total all the parts up.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If the light came on, you need to check the brakes right away. The cheap replacement sensors are not as good as the original brass ones. They can be destroyed on first contact. The "new" ones supplied by Porsche are just plastic now and usually will not survive the first contact.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 AM
My sensor warningn light is currently intermittent (isn't on all the time)

Do I need to change the sensors, or is this down to inspection too?

DO the sensors come with the pads, or are they seperate?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Just measured my front discs

33.6mm

I'm guessing it's new front pads and discs then?

Just about to measure the rears now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Sensor Light just came on