996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Flash Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
dafink44 is infamous around these parts
Flash Question

Hey guys,

Proud new owner of an 05 Turbo S cab. Was just wondering if anyone thinks flashing it is a good idea? If I flash it can I put it back to factory without any worries? Sorta like the car stock and not a big mod guy, but I feel like a simple air intake with a flash is non intrusive enough and reversible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome! Flash is a no brainer IMO, but may have to plan for a clutch soon their after...

Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
From my experience, the flashes on these turbos makes a real difference. I've flashed other cars before and the benefits were very minimal (may have even been more in my head than anything else). But the flash I got for my 996TT definitely made a significant difference -- if only to raise the max boost pressure from 0.7 to 1.1 bar (stock non-X50). I could definitely feel that.

I've also done the air intake on other cars (not the 996TT). I found that unless you did a bunch of other things too -- the impact there was also minimal. In some cases, it was more of a sound improvement than anything else.

Just my limited experience....

Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
If you like a stock car, you will not like a flashed car!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
You will hear this many more times, Flash and Exhaust are the best bang for the buck and an excellent combination. Beyond that everything else (powerwise) will be overkill for your "stock" liking. Then maybe a good set of coilovers and enjoy some seat time at a local track.

Congrats on the new ride- she is beautiful!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Its a terrible idea....the slope is slippery afterwards

Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I bought my s cab and flashed it soon after. Went with softronic and I can flash back at any time, although I don't plan to any time soon. My exhaust was already done so the flash was a no brainer. My clutch can't hold the extra power and I'm now shopping clutches. I say go for it, you will not be disappointed. Shop around and ask questions first.

Last edited by powderjay; 04-10-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,Skip intake....Flash and Exhaust,,,,,Then do not get back on this site if you want to stay at that level...lol.........Good Luck

Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Definitely flash the car, it's a big plus. If you go with a tuner that sends you a hand held flash unit that fits the OBD port, it's easy to flash back to stock.

As far as clutches go, I tracked my flashed car for 3 years on the original clutch before it gave way. It depends more on how you treat the clutch than the flash. If you always do burn-outs then kiss it goodbye soon.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
Mine came flashed and it drives very nicely. Also with the Tubi exhaust and billet diverters, otherwise stock. Did you buy the S Cab from Rizza in Chicago, I almost bought it but wife preferred blue color vs silver.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM
yup Rizza car

It is in fact the J Rizza car. Crooks put it up for 64 and after taking a deposit moved the price to 69 after what I can only suspect was a lot of interest. If I was in state I would have forced the contract. Cars great what did you end up getting, I really like having a cpo bc I drive it hard.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dafink44
It is in fact the J Rizza car. Crooks put it up for 64 and after taking a deposit moved the price to 69 after what I can only suspect was a lot of interest. If I was in state I would have forced the contract. Cars great what did you end up getting, I really like having a cpo bc I drive it hard.
I saw that it was listed at 64 on only 1 site and 69 everywhere else. What was funny was that I sent them an email expressing my interest and then got a call back about how I better hurry since someone else was VERY interested and they were expecting a deposit. I then received an email on Monday that someone had put down a deposit. I ended up buying an 05 Turbo S Cab with 9000 miles, Tubi exhaust, flashed, new tires, Dension with iphone adapter and billet diverters for the same price. Car drives great and it turned 82 today in Ann Arbor, MI with blue sky. I have a 6 and 3 year old and they have ridden in the back and the reply is "time for turbos daddy"

Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM
well

My 3 month old is still a hair too young but he'll be giddyuppin soon enough

Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jorligan
I saw that it was listed at 64 on only 1 site and 69 everywhere else. What was funny was that I sent them an email expressing my interest and then got a call back about how I better hurry since someone else was VERY interested and they were expecting a deposit. I then received an email on Monday that someone had put down a deposit. I ended up buying an 05 Turbo S Cab with 9000 miles, Tubi exhaust, flashed, new tires, Dension with iphone adapter and billet diverters for the same price. Car drives great and it turned 82 today in Ann Arbor, MI with blue sky. I have a 6 and 3 year old and they have ridden in the back and the reply is "time for turbos daddy"
Nice choice! Was a good day in Michigan for the drop top! Let the summer begin. Would love to see your car someday, I'm just up the road in Brighton.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Guybrush is infamous around these parts
I had my car flashed by Kevin / Ultimate Motorwerks. I got UMW datalogger too. Great value for money. Huge improvement. I debated between tuners for a long time. I am glad I went with UMW. Kevins dedication for customer service and thrive to bring out the best performance out of your car is exceptional.

Last edited by Guybrush; 04-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flash Question