996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to quantify/mitigate track day liability and lack of insurance coverage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
How to quantify/mitigate track day liability and lack of insurance coverage?

I've not done a track day yet, but am contemplating doing a DE event at MidOhio May 6-8. I'm concerned about liability at this event, and not just concerning potential damage to my car, but personal liabilty as well. What happens if I blow a tire and slam into a $200k Lambo and end up severly injuring the driver and get sued for $500k? It appears logical that my insurance might refuse to pay and then what, my assets are gone and its bankruptcy for me?

From what I've read, insurance coverage varies at track events. It's possible you'll still have coverage at non-timed events, but even still it is hard to know for sure and it doesn't appear insurance companies easily will say "yes don't worry, have fun on the track, you are covered." Buying track insurance can be extremely pricey, and very difficult to afford all the time for most people. So what do you do?

Looking forward to hearing your comments on the topic. I know this issue has been discussed, but I don't see much info about liability issues.

Last edited by MikeR397; 04-10-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have taken the risk of not having track insurance since 3 years and have not had a problem. You can mitigate the chances but not eliminate them. Checking your equipment, not driving at 10/10ths, not tailgating, more common sense, less testosterone. If the car in front of you drops oil or coolant in a braking zone or corner, it's out of your control. You will have to decide if losing the car is something you can live with. I have seen more wrecks from driving the track in the rain than from anything else, and I refuse to do it. There are a few yahoos who will tailgate you as well, and I usually bring this up in the driver's meeting and ask them "if I drop oil, what will you do"? Hope this helps. There is nothing like driving these cars on the track. It is the only place in our country where you can approach the car's potential.

If you drive with PCA, you have to sign a waver that basically says you are responsible for your own car. I'm not entirely clear on the details so someone with more knowledge on this subject please chime in.

Last edited by landjet; 04-11-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Good points, I thought you ran at your own risk? no? You do sign waivers? If you want insurance you can buy it for track only.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
An insurance guy, also a PCA member, told me... he had not seen an insurance company that truly covers DE events, except for track insurance but they are very pricey. He told me that... if you get into an accident on a track, just take your car out on a street and hit a wall.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Yes, you run at your own risk.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I wonder that myself since track insurance only covers your car and nothing else... I assume the waivers are key, but I don't remember reading them very long...

I will see if I can find one.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I have sent an email requesting clarification to Ken Laborde, chairman of PCA's Insurance Committee, and will post his response when I receive it. My email follows:

Ken,
I am a PCA member and avid DE participant in the Rocky Mountain Region. Much to my chagrin, my State Farm agent tells me that none of my insurance is in effect while at the track. This not only includes my customary auto coverage but also liability protection afforded by a separate umbrella policy I carry. So, the question is, does the waiver everyone signs and the insurance policy that PCA carries for these events afford individual drivers property and/or liability protection in the event they cause another driver harm and are sued as a result. Or, am I really running bare and just taking my chances? Any clarification and detail that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More as it becomes available..........

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I got some quotes last year, for a 2 day PCA DE. It was $937 for stated value $65,000 my car only for two days. That was the cheapest I could find. There are a number of threads on this over on rennlist in the track section, with company names listed that sell track insurance.

Was not a problem, because my transmission died 2 days before the DE.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvurt
I got some quotes last year, for a 2 day PCA DE. It was $937 for stated value $65,000 my car only for two days. That was the cheapest I could find. There are a number of threads on this over on rennlist in the track section, with company names listed that sell track insurance.

Was not a problem, because my transmission died 2 days before the DE.
Wow that is really high. I went through the PCA affiliated one and it was MUCH less!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Less would be nice! This was at Nelson's and I could not find a link for any PCA coverage. I would love to have some for the first event at mid ohio this year.

Tom

Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Less would be nice! This was at Nelson's and I could not find a link for any PCA coverage. I would love to have some for the first event at mid ohio this year.

Tom
Here is the link for the PCA affiliate:

http://pcahpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=3

Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Darn it! I can't rep you for some reason . . ."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to raineycd again." Never seen that before.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Darn it! I can't rep you for some reason . . ."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to raineycd again." Never seen that before.
lol, you must have repped me not to long ago... Probably that negative one I got! :-) j/k

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
He just got one from me. I'm glad to pay ~$300 to not have to worry at my first event. I'm more concerned about an instructor driving my car, and this will cover them too. I'm going to drive like a wuss, but I assume the instructor will push the car a bit further. Can this be used for non-PCA events?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to quantify/mitigate track day liability and lack of insurance coverage?