996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Street/Track Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boomers996tt
Mr. White: went to Hankook website but didn't see anything listed on the Rs 2. What do you know/think of the Ventus V12 EVO. Rears are 295/30/18, same as OEM.
These are what I have on my Turbo and they're very good, especially for the price.

I'm running 19" wheels though with 235 fronts (or are they 245?) and 305 rears. I just ordered a new pair of rears from Tire Rack and it was just over $500 shipped.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
The Falkens 615s were good, stayed consistent and predictable though the session, but with alll stock suspension my car felt like I was driving a beach ball with rockets strap to it. It won't be on the track again till its done done

Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
mikelane is infamous around these parts
I would like to revive this thread as I am shopping for a new wheel/tire combo. I am going back to 8.5x18"front and 12x18''rears from 19'' and will probably do OZ for wheels. I have pss10 suspension, and want comments on street/track tires. I will be doing a few track events this year, but not sure if I want to dedicate a set of track tires this season. Yokohama advan ad08 were recommended to me, but I only see them in a rear 295. Is this size all right? Should I be trying to use a 315 rear? I am in rainy Vancouver so would like a tire that works well in wet conditions as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I switched from MPSCups to Hankooks V12s recently and have my first DE on Monday with them.

On the street they are night and day better than the Cups. Especially for the price! Hope they can hook and hold on track. FYI- I'm running stock hollow twists with OEM size.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
We had a great day at Laguna Seca yesterday and the Hankooks held up pretty good. They were quite good and held up until the ~15min mark then began to get a bit slippery. They were quite easy to modulate the power on and you could dance the car into the hairpins but the traction control kept cutting power due to wheels spinning in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd. Managed to beat my last years time with street tires and stock exhaust. My best recorded time was 1:47.2 but think I broke into the 1:46 range later in the day but my timer was on the fritz. Here is lap chasing down a FAST factory Ferrari 458 race prepped car. This car was sick and came with a 5+ staff and loads of gear including 4 different wheel/tire combos. The car was fast, but certainly had lots of potential untapped.

Think the V12s are excellent street tires and probably good for rain days at the track, but as a pure track tire it will be a compromise. Maybe the SuperSports would be a great "compromise" if they make them in OEM fit. Otherwise I might be looking at track wheel/tire combo if I continue to push on this. Looking at doing another Laguna day April 9th so will give the V12s another beating and see if I can improve on my time.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
We had a great day at Laguna Seca yesterday and the Hankooks held up pretty good. They were quite good and held up until the ~15min mark then began to get a bit slippery. They were quite easy to modulate the power on and you could dance the car into the hairpins but the traction control kept cutting power due to wheels spinning in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd. Managed to beat my last years time with street tires and stock exhaust. My best recorded time was 1:47.2 but think I broke into the 1:46 range later in the day but my timer was on the fritz. Here is lap chasing down a FAST factory Ferrari 458 race prepped car. This car was sick and came with a 5+ staff and loads of gear including 4 different wheel/tire combos. The car was fast, but certainly had lots of potential untapped.

Think the V12s are excellent street tires and probably good for rain days at the track, but as a pure track tire it will be a compromise. Maybe the SuperSports would be a great "compromise" if they make them in OEM fit. Otherwise I might be looking at track wheel/tire combo if I continue to push on this. Looking at doing another Laguna day April 9th so will give the V12s another beating and see if I can improve on my time.
Thanks for the update. I've been looking into a set of V12s. Most reviews are good (especially for the money), but there are a few folks who just hate them. Great video! How did you get the overlays on the upper left corner (speeds in straights and turns, and track section names)? Clearly, I need to play with Harry's Lap Timer a bit more.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Here is a picture (iPhone) of the Ferrari crew and car. They really had a nice setup but am sure it cost someone a bit of coin.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...amferrari.jpg/

I'm using a beta-version of Harry's that should go public shortly. It offers a lot of cool features including both pre/post time and the other tags you saw there. It also shoots straight through without stopping between laps if you wish- just sucks up a lot of memory. One of my sessions was 1.8G!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Here is a picture (iPhone) of the Ferrari crew and car. They really had a nice setup but am sure it cost someone a bit of coin.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...amferrari.jpg/

I'm using a beta-version of Harry's that should go public shortly. It offers a lot of cool features including both pre/post time and the other tags you saw there. It also shoots straight through without stopping between laps if you wish- just sucks up a lot of memory. One of my sessions was 1.8G!
Very nice job of keeping up with the Ferrari. I'm sure your crew was pretty happy. Send a pic of your trailer when you have a chance too.

That does sound like nice features to look forward to. How did you get in on the beta? I should send a note to Harry. I've unintentionally been a big marketing source for that program (I should ask for a commission ). I can't count how many times I've shown the software off at a track. In some of the cases, the other guy had downloaded the program and got it ready to run by the next session!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Hey EH, I like some of the new Harry features, turn identifier, turn speed, and straight speed per sector times. Be careful on that Astroturf (T11)...yikes!

Our TT's definitely put the hurt on that World Challenge car coming out of T6 up to T7. Cool stuff as usual.