996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coilover install and alignment.. closest to Fresno, CA and suspension question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM
X98boardwell is infamous around these parts
Coilover install and alignment.. closest to Fresno, CA and suspension question

Looking for a shop in my area to install coilovers and alignment.

Also, what do I need in addition to ensure I will be able to set proper camber and alignment so there is no additional tire wear... drop links or dog bones and front or rear? I have a photo of a few items that came with the JIC's but cannot seem to upload it do to its size. I will try and make the file size smaller and then upload.

I plan on lowering an inch and this car will never be tracked. it is purely to help the car handle better and look better with the 19" wheels. I have freshly rebuilt JIC Cross coilovers and would like to make sure I have what I need prior to the install.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bryan

Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Only know of good shops in the Bay Area or LA. There must be one in Sacto. Get upper rear adjustable dog bones, rear adjustable toe steer links and you might need adjustable drop links (i'm not sure with JIC Cross). But these are easy to add later if you need them.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
Bryan,

Not sure I agree with the necessity of adding additional suspension components if they are not necessary to achieve the results you are after. I have an '03 Turbo with KWV3s on it, and it's set to GT2 ride height (still running 18" wheels). I track the car extensively and I have no problem getting good track alignment specs (both camber or toe) on the car without the addition of after market control arms or adjustable rear toe links. My suggestion, since you are not planning on tracking the car, would be to have the new coilovers installed and then see if you are able to achieve the basic "stock" alignment specs. If you are, adding additional suspension components will simply be a waste of money (IMHO), as you won't need the added adjustment capabilities that they offer.

Not sure what comes with the JICs. The KWV3s came with new drop links for the front as the attachment points on the front were different from the OEM suspension. The rears accepted the stock drop links.

GL,

Bill

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
IPB-Autosport in Sacramento. But that is a drive from Fresno.

I'm installing my suspension and will have them align and corner balance. They are 45 minutes away and that is a PITA.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
TC Design - don't bother with anyone else!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM
X98boardwell is infamous around these parts
Guys, thanks for the response. I spoke to Alex at Sharkwerks and I think we have a plan. I will most likely do the work myself and then take to a local shop for proper alignment and go from there.

Bryan

Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
Guys, thanks for the response. I spoke to Alex at Sharkwerks and I think we have a plan. I will most likely do the work myself and then take to a local shop for proper alignment and go from there.

Bryan
Good talking to you Bryan and I think you've got a really good plan to go with

Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X98boardwell

Bryan

It's a bit more of a drive but Alex knows his stuff. You're in good hands. This little license plate mod added 20hp.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 04-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
It's a bit more of a drive but Alex knows his stuff. You're in good hands. This little license plate mod added 20hp.
Aw thanks! And about that 20hp, LOL that's right and on 91 octane too