996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kit for adding extra fuel pump???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Fastfrank is infamous around these parts
At what power level is everybody running out of pump?
Mustang/Dynojet/other?
RWD/AWD?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey Guys,,,I just found a surge tank made for the 044 pump from a company ,, 034motorsports.com ..It is not that big and not suppose to restrict the performance of the 044 pump....This should deaden the sound?? I am thinking of trying this out.......

Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hey Guys,,,I just found a surge tank made for the 044 pump from a company ,, 034motorsports.com ..It is not that big and not suppose to restrict the performance of the 044 pump....This should deaden the sound?? I am thinking of trying this out.......
Looks very interesting but where would you have to mount this? I don't think it can go where the fuel filter sits... looks to big?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Very clever idea; if you remote mount it in the trunk like USP and BL does.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
[quote=vr4henry;3232893]Looks very interesting but where would you have to mount this? I don't think it can go where the fuel filter sits... looks to big?
HI,,Below the floor board tunnel, next to the left hand side of the trans,,they is a cross member[at the end of the plastic under body panels] thats where my fuel pump is now mounted to......

Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
I have a question for all of you who added a inline pump. Did you ever check fuel pressure after? I have a GT2 with an extra 044 pump inline and at idle and low engine speeds the pressure exceeds the 3.8bar regulator (with vac line disconnected) by 10%. When the pump is removed the pressure returns to normal. This tell me the return line is to small for the excess flow.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I feel the the regulator itself can not flow enough. The tap off the rail is -6 and thats plenty big for return line. I do not remember what size the hard pipe return is though. When I tried out the twin pumps I used a after market regulator and fed each rail on its own and fed the regulator in each side, so if one pump was lacking the other would feed through the regulator. Oh gut the stock regulator and use it to plug the hole for it in the rail.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
WOW.....Now I might have a new worry to check into, after I thought I was done.....lol.....

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I feel the the regulator itself can not flow enough. The tap off the rail is -6 and that's plenty big for return line. I do not remember what size the hard pipe return is though. When I tried out the twin pumps I used a after market regulator and fed each rail on its own and fed the regulator in each side, so if one pump was lacking the other would feed through the regulator. Oh gut the stock regulator and use it to plug the hole for it in the rail.
Thanks for the advise Tim. After looking at the bleed hole I have no doubt that is the problem. I will look into other options for the regulator.

Update....After digging some more I realize some of the FPR's have a larger bleed hole than others. I will try to dig up some photos.

Last edited by K24madness; 06-21-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Hey Guys,,Kelly Moss Racing addressed that noise issue today and resolved it with out adding that surge tank.....

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi guys,,If all you added was another fuel pump{044} inline AND you did not change the injectors and FPR >>>Do you think you would have to remap for it to run in its normal range or range that did not need the extra fuel??.........I am not talking about remapping to take full advantage of it where it was starving the injectors[UpperWOT},everything but that area.......I would guess not,,,Due to thats why we have FPR??......Just some thoughts needed.....
Yes you would because the return system can't handle the extra fuel flow resulting in increased pressure of about 10% in the lower ranges. This is the same problem I was having with the GT2 with an inline 044 pump. As Tim pointed out it's likely not the return line but the stock FPR. After looking at the bleed hole I would have to agree.

I am not sure how Tony tuned around that. When I dug into the problem the way fuel trim works on the 996tt in 3 stages and the fact fuel pressure varied it was impossible to hit a moving target.

The proper solution in my opinion (Tim's idea really) is gutting the FPR and installing an Aeromotive FPR in the return line off of the fuel rail.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/

Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by K24madness
Yes you would because the return system can't handle the extra fuel flow resulting in increased pressure of about 10% in the lower ranges. This is the same problem I was having with the GT2 with an inline 044 pump. As Tim pointed out it's likely not the return line but the stock FPR. After looking at the bleed hole I would have to agree.

I am not sure how Tony tuned around that. When I dug into the problem the way fuel trim works on the 996tt in 3 stages and the fact fuel pressure varied it was impossible to hit a moving target.

The proper solution in my opinion (Tim's idea really) is gutting the FPR and installing an Aeromotive FPR in the return line off of the fuel rail.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/
Hi,Thanks for the input...After that fuel pump, that Tony told me to install,,and then after he retuned for it, is when I had noticed a noticable decrease in fuel mileage,it was not as smooth as a transition in throttle input and real black tail pipes..That did not make me happy...But it did run great at WOT...Protomotive retuned my car since then and I do not have those issues any more....

Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi,Thanks for the input...After that fuel pump, that Tony told me to install,,and then after he retuned for it, is when I had noticed a noticable decrease in fuel mileage,it was not as smooth as a transition in throttle input and real black tail pipes..That did not make me happy...But it did run great at WOT...Protomotive retuned my car since then and I do not have those issues any more....
I am a BIG fan of Todd. He is always on the leading edge of things. I have run his tune on both of my cars and would not consider using anyone else. I am glad to hear he resolved your problem. I still stand by my belief of the true underlying problem though. As with many things there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by K24madness
I am a BIG fan of Todd. He is always on the leading edge of things. I have run his tune on both of my cars and would not consider using anyone else. I am glad to hear he resolved your problem. I still stand by my belief of the true underlying problem though. As with many things there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Thanks,,You might be right with your belief but how ever Todd retuned it,,which he said he did have to change the way it was sensing/working in order to get it to run better,He did it

Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
jindotli is infamous around these parts
nice!