996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is a "billet" turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
soloracer996TT is infamous around these parts
With a tune and my old stock turbos I was dead even in a race with a friends 996TT. After the Billet K16 upgrade I pulled on him at a lower boost level than I was at before. Definately more than a 20 hp gain.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by soloracer996TT
With a tune and my old stock turbos I was dead even in a race with a friends 996TT. After the Billet K16 upgrade I pulled on him at a lower boost level than I was at before. Definately more than a 20 hp gain.
HI,I was talking about the 18g and 20g wheels in billet versions.......As Blouch informed me....A billet 16 turbo set up does rock.....

Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Thanks for all the responses guys.

According to the article, a billet wheel has no inherent performance advantage just because it is machined from billet. The advantage seems to derive from the fact that these wheels are much less expensive to produce, especially in small quantities, than an investment cast wheel of the same design. This allows the manufacturer to make and test new wheel designs, which gives the potential to have a higher performance wheel.

I guess it's like a lot of aftermarket performance stuff. You can get big improvements, but you should look at the data before you buy.

Jon
correct,
also, the aero can be manipulated better with a machined wheel - no molds etc

billet wheels are not lighter than cast, they weigh about the same for the most part

lots of billet wheels out there are actually copies of cast aero...keep that in mind

Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I think you've started a very interesting topic Jon. Obviously I got my answer and ++++++ These students in Lausanne are so lucky....Thank you!

Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 04-29-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
I think you've started a very interesting topic Jon. Obviously I got my answer and ++++++ These students in Lausanne are so lucky....Thank you!
Who sent you the photo from one of my lectures???

Jon

Old 04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Who sent you the photo from one of my lectures???

Jon

Remember, we both got a good sense of humor! Have a pleasant stay in Switzerland. I just check with google, you are only 436 kms from Stuttgart! How about a visit to the new museum!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Another advantage: Billets of aluminum are stronger and have more consistent material properties, thus they can machine closer to the hub. For a given wheel diameter, machining the blades to start closer to the hub allows for larger effective compressor area. This is where some of the additional flow comes from.