996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lane ends

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Lane ends

How many like to go to the lane ends lane at a stop light were you are number 1 for take off. Just ease out, and probaly half the time the other car will punch it. Game on. With the tip drop to first from second under load and it's like a shotgun shot ahead. Good fun.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
ait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant future
I always do this, not for the impromptu 0-60 race but just because it's plain fun to accelerate. I ease into first gear then punch it to redline, then 2nd, and then ease off before going too fast for the road.

Only once did another car punch it (a corvette) but we both had to slow down quickly due to a speed camera ahead.

Ed

Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
sweeeeeet.. it is so fun to accelerate in the turbo.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:55 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
I have a problem nailing it in 1st as red line is almost instantaneous. I either get wheel spin and hit it even with psm or I don't get wheel spin and hit the rev limiter, but either way, 1st is way too short (or is it tall)in my car. Also, the 1-2 shift is very notchy if I try to shift to fast. No grinding, just notchy and must be engaged at the right speed and angle.

Do any of you notice the same thing?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
ait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant future
Redline in first does come very quickly but I don't have any issue with wheelspin.

Agree 1-2 is notchy so I make sure I don't rush it. I'm not trying to get a 0-60 time, but just enjoy the snap-neck, shift, snap-neck feel. Then I take a quick look in the rear view mirror and .

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Last night I was driving with my wife in her small SUV. A pimped out Escalade pulled up to the red light in the lane next to me that ended beyond the light. Turning green he gunned it and raced passed us. I said to my wife he couldn't have done that if we were in my car

Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
gee golly wizzers can.t spin em in 1st. i have a favorite freeway entrance i love (just race myself) 1st is way short and two smokie for me soooo i get on it(roll the gas pedal)in 2nd at 35 hundred i loose traction wiggle a bit and then it's third by that time i breakin the law so i ease off... it's always a rush!!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
It's way more fun doing it in our E55 Station wagon. NO ONE expects to be beat. It's particularly fun to do next to American muscle or Japanese wanna-be.

The E55 is within a tick of the 996TT and given its instantaneous torque, even better at the stop light.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Swear to ___ the truth:

Late 70s... my dad gets into it with a cabby in NYC when he did a slingshot pass at a red light...cabby chases him to the next light, me and my brother in back. Cursing at us, "you people are maniacs, etc, etc"

Get to the next light and there is a right lane that ends when the parking starts for the next block, with a cop car on the opposing lane coming towards us. Cabbie IRATE, still yelling. Light changes, cabbie flips dad off, punches it....

Redlight runner coming across catches the cab on the front fender, and both cars careen off into the parked cars on the cross street. We are siting there saying 'wow dad'.

Cops shake their heads, flip on the lights, make a left and stop....we cruise on by.

Truth.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pat
How many like to go to the lane ends lane at a stop light were you are number 1 for take off. Just ease out, and probaly half the time the other car will punch it. Game on. With the tip drop to first from second under load and it's like a shotgun shot ahead. Good fun.
Are you saying you like to be the gutter sniper or you like to beat gutter snipers? Not quite sure what you're saying here...I F'n HATE gutter snipers, they're pieces of $#!+ who think the world is theirs and the rest of us are lucky they allow us to live in it. I get it all the time in my work truck. It's funny actually because I never give it to them. My work truck isn't fast, but it's a V8 and it'll at least make it through the intersection fast enough to where they ahve to slam on the breaks and by that time, the rest of the cars are moving and they usually end up having to wait longer to merge. That's what I love I secretly wish that someone tries to gutter snipe and hits a parked car, as I just continue on and flip them off.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Are you saying you like to be the gutter sniper or you like to beat gutter snipers?
Neither for me. Here in the Valley of the Sun we are blessed with wide, 6-lane, straight as an arrow roads, often with 1/2 mile or more between lights. We are also cursed with plenty of drivers who will drive below the speed limit including the ubiquitous landscape truck+trailer, hand-on-cell-phone-to-ear driver, and of course, the grandma-mobile. Did I mention that they tend to drive in packs, leaving dozens of yards between them and the next vehicle in front, slowing down all three lanes of traffic? I just want to get past these folks and when they start randomly slowing down 1/8 mile before the traffic light I look for my chance to sneak by one of them and make it to the head of the line at the light.

Then it's adios amigos.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 PM
pat
Either way.... I guess I am more often the gutter sniper. That said the slightest throttle with the tip leaves everybody behind if everybody is driving normal. Now if someone is in the gutter lane by mistake I will let them ahead of me or behind me which ever is easier.

The other night no the way home I was in the gutter lane at the light on a two lane highway. The gutter lane in this spot is about a quater mile long befor it runs out. A jeep wrangler was next to me. I eased out and they moved out smartly and then punched it. I hung back about three feet from eaven as we accelerated to about seventy. I think he thought he was getting me. Then I punched it , I saw him in the rear view mirror Slowing down. I think his wife was yelling at him.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
DMAN11 is infamous around these parts
True story...I had a 1994 928 GTS with after market exhaust and sports cats, car sounded real nice when you romped on it or reved the engine. I'm sitting at a light and some young punk comes up in a civic with a fart can on the back, rolled down his window and reved his car with a **** grin on his face. I ignored him for a few seconds then reved the V8 in the 928, took it to about 5K in the rev...**** grin erased, window rolls up, never looked at me again. We both left the light at normal speed, didn't even bother! To this day, it makes me laugh!

I had a lot of fun with that 928, a car I REALLY miss. It is a HEAVY car, but it was fun.