996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got my car aligned to GT2 specs and what a difference it made

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Got my car aligned to GT2 specs and what a difference it made

Even just on the street the turn in is much more crisp and not near as sluggish feeling. Highly suggest for those considering an alignment change. The GT2 alignment adds more negative camber on the front and and slightly tweaks the rear toe. It makes a slight change to other parameters but mainly the front camber.

I also got some almost new rear Pirelli Assemetricos installed. They had 1/4" of tread left and were $350 for the rears verses $750 new for a set of rear tires I am not really crazy about in the first place. The plan is to milk as much out of the fronts and rears then switch to anything other than Pirellis. They are just too noisy IMHO.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
nice... who did the alignment for you? Pirelli's are not good here in florida... too soft, roads to hot..

Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boca996tt
nice... who did the alignment for you? Pirelli's are not good here in florida... too soft, roads to hot..
Elite Roads off of Commercial near Powerline. They do alignments for Champion and a few other Pcar places.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
What suspension mods you got? Are you at GT2 ride height as well?

I got the Pirelli Assemetricos as well and agree they are a little noisy but I'm going to use them anyway till they're toast and go with something different.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
What suspension mods you got? Are you at GT2 ride height as well?

I got the Pirelli Assemetricos as well and agree they are a little noisy but I'm going to use them anyway till they're toast and go with something different.
No suspension mods. I want to keep stock ride height. I am doing a rear sway and leaving the suspension alone.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
No suspension mods. I want to keep stock ride height. I am doing a rear sway and leaving the suspension alone.

So technically you don't have a GT2 alignment as you the ride height and rake is different on the turbo as the GT2..

How were you able to achieve additional camber in the front with the stock lower control arms with stock ride height.

Did they just reset the toe front and back and adjust camber in the rear?

Not trying to be a "ball breaker" just want to make sure you got what you paid for and weren't sold a bill of goods.......

Lastly if you are considering a sway bar upgrade you should really look at a front and rear bar combo.

The "myth" of the GT3 bar being better than a stock bar is just that everyone seem to think that a GT3 bar is better because it has 4 adjustment holes yet
little do they realize is that the GT3 is a lighter car requiring a smaller bar in terms of stiffness and the overall torsional stiffness of the bar in its stiffest setting is only 10% stiffer than stock on a turbo.

We developed a proper front and rear sway bar combination for the 996TT that works..

If you need more info or would like to find out how this all works feel free to email me directly or check out our website under the suspension section and you can read up on it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 05-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
So technically you don't have a GT2 alignment as you the ride height and rake is different on the turbo as the GT2..

How were you able to achieve additional camber in the front with the stock lower control arms with stock ride height.

Did they just reset the toe front and back and adjust camber in the rear?

Not trying to be a "ball breaker" just want to make sure you got what you paid for and weren't sold a bill of goods.......

Lastly if you are considering a sway bar upgrade you should really look at a front and rear bar combo.

The "myth" of the GT3 bar being better than a stock bar is just that everyone seem to think that a GT3 bar is better because it has 4 adjustment holes yet
little do they realize is that the GT3 is a lighter car requiring a smaller bar in terms of stiffness and the overall torsional stiffness of the bar in its stiffest setting is only 10% stiffer than stock on a turbo.

We developed a proper front and rear sway bar combination for the 996TT that works..

If you need more info or would like to find out how this all works feel free to email me directly or check out our website under the suspension section and you can read up on it.

Hope that helps.
As far as the rake goes, you are correct. But I am not concerned with the rake or else I would get an aftermarket suspension. I got the alginment sheet and I matched it against the gt2 specs. I assume it was done by moving the upper strut as indicated in the repair manual. The camber in the front is only -1 degree from 0 of the stock 996TT USA. I can't imagine 1 degree being difficult to acheive at stock ride height. Let's put it this way, the camber difference is noticeable just looking at the front wheels. And it drives much better too.

For the sway bar, I did some digging and found that the GT3 rear bar is not ideal. I am gonna get a ride in a car with just the rear bar to see if I like the way it drives and make a decision then. Thanks for the advise about the sway bars. I will consider your recomendations.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:28 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
My friend's beetle has a GT2 alignment too. I know I'm going to get negative responses on this one; but it has been in my mind and I just decided to speak out.

For those that don't have a GT2, why set my this to GT2 this and that to GT2 that. You have a turbo, not a GT2; it you're so admire about a GT2... get a GT2. No matter what you do to your turbo... you don't have a GT2 and it will never feel like a GT2.

Oh yeah, I have a "GT2" Add-on wing.

Last edited by MY996TT; 05-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by MY996TT
My friend's beetle has a GT2 alignment too. I know I'm going to get negative responses on this one; but it has been in my mind and I just decided to speak out.

For those that don't have a GT2, why set my this to GT2 this and that to GT2 that. You have a turbo, not a GT2; it you're so admire about a GT2... get a GT2. No matter what you do to your turbo... you don't have a GT2 and it will never feel like a GT2.

Oh yeah, I have a "GT2" Add-on wing.
Well first off the alignment is measured in degrees and the specs are referred to as GT2 alignment specs because you can tell the alignment guy to set it to GT2 specs and his alignment rack has those preset into his machine. And for the actual degrees on the alignment, the gt2 isn't the only car with an alignment within those ranges. But for the purpose of this discussion referring to gt2 alignment vs stating all of the actual settings makes this discussion a bit more abbreviated and allows the actual original point of the thread to be discussed.

Why do the alignment? The additional camber and toe adjustments make the car's steering feel more crisp and the turn in feels less sluggish. It doesn't have anything to do with longing for a gt2 for me. That is what the wings are for

Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
John, looking forward to a drive in you car to see how she feels.

Is Elite roads the old Good Roads?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by 03 996tt
John, looking forward to a drive in you car to see how she feels.

Is Elite roads the old Good Roads?
Anytime man. Not sure on Elite Roads. They are on Commercial near Powerline.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I don't know about Gt2 alignment, but I asked Speed Gallery for more front camber, Installed an H&R rear bar set to medium and run slightly wider front tires. The result is much better turn in and more grip but he car is a bit more "darty". Got used to it after 1 day of driving and don't notice the dartiness anymore.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Ari, are you now running the 265's up front? Any rubbing? What rear tire size goes with the 265's? What size wheel with the 265's?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I don't know about Gt2 alignment, but I asked Speed Gallery for more front camber, Installed an H&R rear bar set to medium and run slightly wider front tires. The result is much better turn in and more grip but he car is a bit more "darty". Got used to it after 1 day of driving and don't notice the dartiness anymore.
So how much of a difference does the front to rear width difference make? I know rotating diameter makes a big difference.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm running 255/35 18s on stock 8" fronts. They were a dead match for 295 my brand rears in terms of height (to keep the viscous coupling happy). Zero rubbing and lots of room really.

I have set of 9.5" fronts on order. We'll see how those go. My car is almost 100% street, so this **** is mostly tinkering anyways.