996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where is this leak coming from?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:38 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Where is this leak coming from?

Found a leak last night, toward the rear of the engine bay, just offset to the right. The fluid is collecting on the ground, directly under the power steering fluid reservior. The fluid is clear, not dirty at all.

My guess is that the PS overflow puked out some fluid. But, I am slightly troubled by the fact that there is fluid (oil or PS fluid) on what appears to be an oil seal of sorts. Here's my best attempt to describe where this seal is.

There appears to be a semi-circular tube running from one cylinder bank to the other, with the curved portion of the tube almost butting up against the section of steel that separates the exhaust from the engine bay. On either side of this curved tube, there is a fitting. Each fitting has what appears to be a seal of some sort - smack dab in the middle of the tube. (It's basically a three piece tube, with a seal on either end connecting the three sections.)

Any way, the seal on the right side (which is directly under the PS reservior) is wet. It could be that PS fluid is dripping on it. Or it could be that the seal itself is leaking oil. That said, the fluid appears to be clean and perfectly clear, whereas mobil one is slightly yellow/gold in tint from the bottle (and almost certainly a darker gold once its run through the engine).

Thoughts???

Any experienced opinion is appreciated!