996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car & Driver Tire Study

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
Car & Driver Tire Study

I've been searching for a Michelin PS2 replacement (Based highly on price) for a while now and came up with this comparison. Living in Los Angeles, my driving habits are 80% Hooligan 20% freeway droning so I go through 2 sets of rears for every front.

I am using stock sizes 225-40/295-30's on 18's. Damon at Tirerack recommended the Sumitomo HTRZ III which sadly were not in the comparison.

After reading it, I'm going to try the Hankook V12. Not considering the less than 50% savings over the PS2's, the tires look like they are clearly a good choice.

The test is a great read, let me know your thoughts!

TGIF,

Fallbangskid

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Good article. Thanks for putting it up.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Tj Hunter is infamous around these parts
I have ran Hankook for YEARS, people want to rag on them all the time, and I am not sure why. I get that they do not have the grip of a PS2 or similar, but I personally could care less about having the grippiest tires when I am using the car as DD duty. If I was really concerned about grip I would get Pilot Cups or some other R comp tire.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I just installed the Kumho XS in 235/40/18 & 315/30/18 on the stock twists. They feel absolutely wonderful. They are far superior to the Conti Sport Contacts that were on the car. They are more expensive than the V12, but I really like them so far. The V12's were my next choice.

Last edited by Nikolas; 05-06-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I was going to get V12 anyway; this just confirmed my decision.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Great priced tire, put it on my wife xjr, decent grip but loud.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
80% hooligan

Hilarious

Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Tj Hunter is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
80% hooligan

Hilarious

Where as 80% = 100%

Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 PM
DubSport is infamous around these parts
I just got the Sumitomo's on my 996 turbo and swear by them, not interested in paying double for nearly identical performance (PS2's).

Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I had H-kook Ventus V12 on my X50 turbo...they are fantastic tires...grippy, softer sidewall quite compliant and I thought they were fairly silent...they work great dry or rain...I would get them again in a heartbeat if they made sizes for my GT2...I have Michelin PS on this car now when those need replaced was considering Toyo or Kumho...dunno yet...

Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I just installed the Kumho XS in 235/40/18 & 315/30/18 on the stock twists. They feel absolutely wonderful. They are far superior to the Conti Sport Contacts that were on the car. They are more expensive than the V12, but I really like them so far. The V12's were my next choice.
Just wait for a cooler day in the rain. Lets just say that you'll need to be on your toes. I have the exact same tires and sizes on mine.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Back to the topic at hand.... I run those Hankook V12 tires on the Infiniti G35x and they are a great tire. Good for dry or wet, good ride quality and pretty quiet too. Thety wear well and still provide good grip. An excellent all round tire. For the price, they're hard to beat. Good choice!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I was going to get V12 anyway; this just confirmed my decision.
Hey Eugene -- the only question we were talking about was whether I'd get the V12s first or if you would . Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I'd probably have to get another set of wheels to mount them on unless I waited a bit longer to wear down my current tires.

I am looking at the Kumho XS tires too. I don't think they make the V12s in a 315/30R18 size if I went to 12" rears.

Anyone else had both Hankooks and Kumhos with an opinion to share?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
The Car&Driver review was from 2009 and since then the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tire has come out that's much cheaper, has better performance and has a longer treadlife. It's still more than most of the alternatives but seems like a natural to replace the PS2's. There's a Dec 2010 review at http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...er-sport-tires and at http://www.tirereview.com/Article/85...ts_longer.aspx

Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
I don't see that the Super Sport is available in a 295/30/18?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Tire Study