996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BBS LM 18" and spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM
nagual911 is infamous around these parts
Question BBS LM 18" and spacers

Hi all,

I have a question about the BBS LM 18".
I have just installed these wheels on my 996 Turbo

Front 9" ET 50
Rear 11" ET 56

origin is
front 8" ET50
rear 11" ET 45

my question is about front wheel.
When I put them, I can see that the space between wheel and brake is really small, i would say less than 2 mm.
BBS doesn't mention any spacers to put in the front wheel.

I was wondering if some of you who made this change have put spacers on the front wheel, and how much mm ?
I put some Techart 7 mm but not sure if it is optimal...
Thanks for the help

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
I'm running the same wheels on my '03. No spacers in the front and 15mm spacers (and longer bolts) in the rear. I'll agree that there is not too much clearance between the caliper and the wheel, but I have never had any issues with the wheel contacting the caliper. Not sure how "hard" you will be using the BBS wheels. In my case, they are my street wheels, and when tracking the car I use the stock wheels. However, even if you plan on tracking the car with the BBS wheels, I seriously doubt that under normal circumstances you could induce enough flex in the wheel to have any contact with the caliper.

I've had the wheels on the car now for over 2 years with no issues. I have been considering going with a thin spacer (5 to 10mm) in the front simply to move the wheel out a little for esthetics. Don't think you will find them necessary however.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 AM
nagual911 is infamous around these parts
Thank you for your response dog4delta,

I effectivelly drove few kilometers without spacers on the front.
but most of the people advise me to put some spacers, just to be sure that the caliper won't touch the wheel.
I am quite sure that on the street it can't be the case, but on the track I was wondering if with the heat, the caliper could touch the wheel (?) not sure neither, but just to be on the safe side.
I ask to BBS but no response from now...
That' why I bought some techart spacers of 7 mm, following advices.

Originally Posted by dog4delta
I'm running the same wheels on my '03. No spacers in the front and 15mm spacers (and longer bolts) in the rear. I'll agree that there is not too much clearance between the caliper and the wheel, but I have never had any issues with the wheel contacting the caliper. Not sure how "hard" you will be using the BBS wheels. In my case, they are my street wheels, and when tracking the car I use the stock wheels. However, even if you plan on tracking the car with the BBS wheels, I seriously doubt that under normal circumstances you could induce enough flex in the wheel to have any contact with the caliper.

I've had the wheels on the car now for over 2 years with no issues. I have been considering going with a thin spacer (5 to 10mm) in the front simply to move the wheel out a little for esthetics. Don't think you will find them necessary however.