996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you guys like the automatic tranny in the 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
kflee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sshu930
The 08 M3's are nice but personally I rather have a 996TT even if it's a tip. I loved the turbo 911's for a lifetime and 996TT has almost fully depreciated. Besides we already have a X5, and M5 in the family, time for something a little different.
Just saying that if you plan to track the car, you will not be happy with an auto in the long run regardless of what type of car it is. If you HAVE to share the car with someone that can't drive a stick, then a true dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters is the only way to go. If $45k is your max, then the M3 or Evo are the only options currently.

Personally, I want the 997TT with PDK

Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Let's just say if you are destined for much more power than stock, hunt down a 6 speed car... You will be money ahead.
+1 to Neil's money saving comment - I've had to upgrade my tip to handle the newfound power of my 3071's and supporting mods. Akram said I'd tear it up if I didn't do a full upgrade, so I had him go ahead and do it while he was in there. It's costing a bundle. I'll post some numbers after I get it back.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I was only interested in a Tip. Don't feel the need to shift anymore. Came from a M3 SMG and the Tip is slower, but smoother. I'd love a 997 PDK but they're still too pricey.

I'm more concerned with your belief that the 996 has more than two seats. You can see them, but you can't really use them

The seat behind the driver is useless if the driver is over 5'3". The seat behind the passenger is useful up to about age 6, but only if the passenger is 5'5" or below.

Make sure the whole family sits in it before you decide.

Honestly, though, the M3 wasn't much better.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by waymegelli
+1 to Neil's money saving comment - I've had to upgrade my tip to handle the newfound power of my 3071's and supporting mods. Akram said I'd tear it up if I didn't do a full upgrade, so I had him go ahead and do it while he was in there. It's costing a bundle. I'll post some numbers after I get it back.
What is the cost for the tip upgrade? Considering the clutch upgrade you would need for 3071s in a 6SP, is it really THAT much more?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tscales
I'm more concerned with your belief that the 996 has more than two seats. You can see them, but you can't really use them

The seat behind the driver is useless if the driver is over 5'3". The seat behind the passenger is useful up to about age 6, but only if the passenger is 5'5" or below.

Make sure the whole family sits in it before you decide.

Honestly, though, the M3 wasn't much better.
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. One of the reasons I went from a 2-seater roadster to the 996TT was for the back seats (I kid you not -- of course, no one believes me when I say it). With the 2-seater roadster, I just didn't get enough opportunities to drive it since I'd often have to pick up or drop off the kids.

Yes, the back seats are small -- but your numbers are not consistent with my experience. I'm 5'10" and my daughter (4'6") can sit comfortably behind me. My 6-year old fits fine behind the passenger seat (in the same position as the driver seat) with a booster. No doubt the back seats can't hold an adult or kid who's much taller -- but I wouldn't understate its value that much.

Because of the back seats, I've driven the 996TT in 1 year more than I could drive my 2-seater in 5 years.

*** Edit: I'm not talking about a cab. As I recall, the backseats in the cab are a lot more cramped. I think the back is tilted forward to accommodate the retractable top.

Last edited by Aerodude; 05-11-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Wow Eugene, how many kids do you have?

Originally Posted by Aerodude
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. One of the reasons I went from a 2-seater roadster to the 996TT was for the back seats (I kid you not -- of course, no one believes me when I say it). With the 2-seater roadster, I just didn't get enough opportunities to drive it since I'd often have to pick up or drop off the kids.

Yes, the back seats are small -- but your numbers are not consistent with my experience. I'm 5'10" and my daughter (4'6") can sit comfortably behind me. My 6-year old fits fine behind the passenger seat (in the same position as the driver seat) with a booster. No doubt the back seats can't hold an adult or kid who's much taller -- but I wouldn't understate its value that much.

Because of the back seats, I've driven the 996TT in 1 year more than I could drive my 2-seater in 5 years.

*** Edit: I'm not talking about a cab. As I recall, the backseats in the cab are a lot more cramped. I think the back is tilted forward to accommodate the retractable top.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Maybe that's the difference. Mine is a cab.