996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you guys like the automatic tranny in the 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
sshu930 is infamous around these parts
How do you guys like the automatic tranny in the 996TT?

I maybe looking for an 996TT with an auto tranny. In my heart, if I got a 996TT it would be a 6-speed but situations change. The car would be a weekend car with occasional track usage. There would be light mods like chip and exhaust.

How does the auto behave on the track? Can the auto tranny handle light mods? Does the auto tranny substantially detract from the driving experience?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
If you want a 6speed then buy an 6speed.

I have a tip and i like it BUT buy what you like better!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I love the tip. Had a nice power slide and shift during slide
on the way home from work today.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I love my tiptronic in the 996tt.

I have a boxster with a 911 engine that needs the manual, but the tt is so darn fast that I never wish I had bought 6sp. I know I can't out-shift this computer and it seems to always puts the appropriate amount of power to the ground. For the times I think I know better or if a race is coming, I put it in shift mode and let her rip..... while drinking a coke, talking on my phone, shaving, and reading my kindle!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
rossandbeth is infamous around these parts
Hi,
I have a tip and my advice is, if you want to go to the track frequently then I'd get a manual.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
I have a 6sp and wish I had a tip. From what I have read it shifts faster, less chance for broken trans/gears etc, and wife can ride he car with no complaints of jerky shifting

But too late now. Spent 4k on my clutch/shortshifter/gt2mod etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have a Tip and enjoy having a Tip most of the times. The only time I wanted a 6speed is when I want more power (going over 700 to the crank).

I went to the track for the first time a little over a week ago. I didn't like having the Tip in "D" mode because she kept down shifting on me when I didn't want that. On "M" mode, tracking with a Tip was just fine because the track (Thunder Hill) required only 3rd and 4th gears. To me Tip tranny wasn't the problem when tracking, the bigger problem was my car wasn't dailed in for track use; turning was a much more difficult task than shifting.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Let's just say if you are destined for much more power than stock, hunt down a 6 speed car... You will be money ahead.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil switzer
let's just say if you are destined for much more power than stock, hunt down a 6 speed car... You will be money ahead.
+1!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
rjp
rjp is infamous around these parts
I've had both and I was unhappy with the Tip. For me, much of the excitement in driving a turbo is feeling the boost kick in shift after shift. With a tip, you feel it once and that's it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
There have been times (usually in stop and go traffic) that I would have preferred a tip. However, for me, shifting and clutching is part of the enjoyment of driving this kind of car. Yes, a tip is probably faster, and we know that a PDK is way faster and delivers equivalent power to the wheels. I have extensive wheel time with a PDK, and with the previous SMG-like technology, but I never enjoyed it as much as a full manual.

Although I haven't done it myself, a good analogy might be why people like to change the exhaust note on their cars. For the most part, it doesn't improve performance that much -- but it just satisfies one of the other driving senses.....

Just get what will make you happy!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM
The reason for me getting an auto is because my wife is actually starting to get into racing. She enjoys going to the track. We need a car that is auto and 4 seater(gotta take my boy along too). Right now we are borrowing a friends car so we need to find a fun third car which fits this criteria. I first mentioned Evo 10 MR to her but she doesn't like ricer cars and I would like to stay away from anything SMG. We both love the 996TT so that is one of the top choices. Any other suggestions are welcomed, budget is under 45k.

Last edited by sshu930; 05-10-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM
kflee is infamous around these parts
This may be a little too obvious, but get a 2008 M3 with DCT. Not the power of the 991, but a great track car right out of the box. Prices for 08's are in the mid 40's.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sshu930
The reason for me getting an auto is because my wife is actually starting to get into racing. She enjoys going to the track. We need a car that is auto and 4 seater(gotta take my boy along too). Right now we are borrowing a friends car so we need to find a fun third car which fits this criteria. I first mentioned Evo 10 MR to her but she doesn't like ricer cars and I would like to stay away from anything SMG. We both love the 996TT so that is one of the top choices. Any other suggestions are welcomed, budget is under 45k.
the Evo X is a true dual clutch, not an SMG style

Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by kflee
This may be a little too obvious, but get a 2008 M3 with DCT. Not the power of the 991, but a great track car right out of the box. Prices for 08's are in the mid 40's.
The 08 M3's are nice but personally I rather have a 996TT even if it's a tip. I loved the turbo 911's for a lifetime and 996TT has almost fully depreciated. Besides we already have a X5, and M5 in the family, time for something a little different.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you guys like the automatic tranny in the 996TT?