996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the safest bolt in rollbar...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I don't think anyone can say for sure which is the safest without crash testing. You can go based on concept, but in the end, like Joe said, the safest way is a full cage. The full cage bolt in from Porsche is probably the best one.

I have a GMG unit and it seems pretty great.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
The above quote is on the money. A roll bar with a standard three point seat belt and no helmet is outright dangerous. Why do car manufacturers pad the hell out of the interior and put airbags every place they can. It's the body's impact on hard objects inside the car that cause most
of the damage. Notice most guys on this board with roll bars, track there cars, have the proper harnesses, and wear helmets.
Exactly. On the street, in the mojority of crashes, a roll cage will cause more harm than good (unless wearing a helmet and a full harness).

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, there seems to be a little terminology confusion here between a rollbar and a rollcage. A rollBAR sits behind the seat (see the GMG bars pictured above), where head contact is virtually impossible. I suppose if you were not wearing a seatbelt, you could come up over the back of the seat in an impact and contact it. In that case you would get what you deserve I suppose. You would likely have a broken neck from snapping over the back top of the seat before you ever hit the bar.

A rollCAGE on the other hand, takes a rollbar type system, and adds front and side protection as well, but also creates and environment where a person's head could easily contact the side or front headbar in an incident. In the case of a rollCAGE, one must absolutely be wearing a harness system and helmet. For this reason, rollCAGES are illegal in street use cars. RollBARS are not.

I am pretty sure the original question pertained to rollBARS

Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
From firsthand experience I can testify to that the GMG rollbar is a very nice piece to install and have in the car, especially since it allows the seat to slide back far enough to work well for tall drivers.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 PM
bella1 is infamous around these parts
Safety Devices

Originally Posted by MrWhite
If you want to go a notch safer, look at Stable Energies 6-point bolt in.
It's awesome and also decently priced.
Right Safety Devices sold through Stable Energies makes a nice full cage that can be welded in to the car while keepin all door interior bits, dashboard, overhead, etc. Some cutting of the carpet is required. Of course, full removal of carpet for install is required. I have one and I paid $2000 some 3 years ago and another $1400 for labor to install.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
bella1 is infamous around these parts
Street Use

Originally Posted by Nikolas
Exactly. On the street, in the mojority of crashes, a roll cage will cause more harm than good (unless wearing a helmet and a full harness).
Agree with that. I would not dirve a car with full cage on street whether legal or not.