996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the safest bolt in rollbar...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
What is the safest bolt in rollbar...

Best fit , finish and quality...??

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
IMHO,RSS.. I have it. Went in with no problem. I have GT3 euro seats and both go back all the way.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drhenrock
Best fit , finish and quality...??
I couldn't say whether it's the safest or not. I have a DAS roll bar. I tested the DAS bar in my previous car and it worked.

Here's a DIY for the install:
http://mechse.illinois.edu/research/..._Seats+Rollbar

Jon

Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
What's the safest sandal to wear running on broken glass?
For the most part, a bolt-in rollbar is better than nothing
but no serious race protection of this sort is bolt-in, it is
welded in. I understand many folks don't want to commit
to that much of a shift to a track car, but I just want to
make sure you understand that.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I've installed most bars in the 996/997 cars and have always had good luck with the DAS bars and also GMG's RSR bar, which is what I have used exclusively for the last 3-4 cars. I have not used the RSS bar but they look pretty similar. You do have to cut the rear shelf carpet, but that isn't a big deal. If you want to keep your BOSE speaker box (if you have it), then you are likely to have to go with a t-equipment style bar. Personally, I think tying into the rear strut towers increases the structural rigidity.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I have a DAS bar , looks beefy. Should be in a car in a week or so

Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
I've installed most bars in the 996/997 cars and have always had good luck with the DAS bars and also GMG's RSR bar, which is what I have used exclusively for the last 3-4 cars. I have not used the RSS bar but they look pretty similar. You do have to cut the rear shelf carpet, but that isn't a big deal. If you want to keep your BOSE speaker box (if you have it), then you are likely to have to go with a t-equipment style bar. Personally, I think tying into the rear strut towers increases the structural rigidity.

I believe the gmg and rss are one in the same.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Camo_cab is infamous around these parts
Having rolled many race cars in my day I would think you would be more concerned with which one is going to save your life.

That said it is possible to have adaquet protection from a bolt in cage or bar. Just depends on the engineering.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
And keep in mind a roll cage is designed for a race condition where a helmet & harness is worn. They sit lower than the roof of your car. So running one without a harness is really bad, especially when not wearing a helmet.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
If you want to go a notch safer, look at Stable Energies 6-point bolt in.
It's awesome and also decently priced.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Just to clarify a few key points.

We have two version of a bolt on roll bar the World Challenge and the RSR
The WC bolts in a like the Tequipment bar mounts to the seat belt anchors.
The RSR mounts to the rear strut towers.

Our original bar the WC-GT bar was knocked off by a few companies so stopped making it and just improved the design.

A very nice feature of our roll bar is the fact you can move both driver and passenger seats back all the way which is not an option with the knocked off version of our bar.

In terms of materials we use"
4130 Chromoly that is purge tig welded and the tubing is all laser cut for precision fit.
All parts are CNC machined.

Here is a link to the product on our website:

http://gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml

I have the RSR bar in my GT2 and love it and I also run the Euro Club Sport seats.

Feel free to stop by the shop if you are in the area and you can check it out for yourself.

WC bar shown.

Hardware

Installed

RSR bar below

A nice option for the World Challenge bar is that you can also add the additional rear braces and have 6 points of attachment , seat belt anchors and rear strut towers with an integrated strut tower brace.

No other bolt in half cage on the market offers that.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Camo_cab is infamous around these parts
Fabyrce,

Nice looking equipment.

What size tubeing and thickness do you guys use ?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nikolas
And keep in mind a roll cage is designed for a race condition where a helmet & harness is worn. They sit lower than the roof of your car. So running one without a harness is really bad, especially when not wearing a helmet.
The above quote is on the money. A roll bar with a standard three point seat belt and no helmet is outright dangerous. Why do car manufacturers pad the hell out of the interior and put airbags every place they can. It's the body's impact on hard objects inside the car that cause most
of the damage. Notice most guys on this board with roll bars, track there cars, have the proper harnesses, and wear helmets.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 05-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Fabryce, If someone was knocking off my product I would out them straight away. With that said as I look at your setup the mounting hardware is the same design minus the GMG branding. Years back when I purchased the RSS setup it was the only one I found that let the seats go all the way back and that was very important to me. In any case your new bar is a work of art.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Fabryce, saw the video of the rollbar install. How long does it take once the front seats are removed? The video almost made it look too easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What is the safest bolt in rollbar...