996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just changed my oil & filter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pat
3000 miles. It's the cheapest thing you can do. 10w 30 .. It spools quicker.
From what I've learned, 10w30 is too thin (the 30 weight), and most don't have enough ZDDP.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
3000 miles. It's the cheapest thing you can do. 10w 30 .. It spools quicker.
WOW....Do you really think so???......Also do you really think 10W30 is protection enough??......I do not think so.....BUT to each his own

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I know... I run 20 w 50 in every thing I have ...( I have 10 cars. ) Except the turbo... Last summer I ran a test. In the corse of a week I changed the oil 3 times. First with 20w 50 than with 15 w 40 than with 10 w 30. All mobil 1. I wouldn't be leave the difference on how on the spool charistics changed with the 3 if i hadent run the test myself ... With the 10w30 it spools so much quicker and hits so much harder that I will take the hit on wear parts.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I haven't really established a routine for my 996tt yet since I haven't had it long enough to do so (1 year as of 5/12 and 3,800 miles). I just changed my oil yesterday for the first time since I had it changed when I bought it. The oil still looked great on the way out according to my touch and smell test. Now I'm going to send off a sample to Blackstone to be analyzed.

Oil analysis is a great thing to do to find out how your engine is doing and among other things how long you can go between oil changes. Each of our driving habits is unique and oil change interval requirements will vary quite a bit as well as the viscosity we use for our various applications. There is no one size fits all and everyone has there opinion, hense the never ending oil threads. So hears mine...

I went with M1 0W40 during the oil change yesterday. I'm interested to see how this compares to the M1 15W50 that was put in when my oil was changed when I bought the car. That was not my preference but that is what was put in. There has been plenty of chatter at cold startup so I'm hoping the thinner 0 weight oil will help. In my opinion 15 is just too thick for cold startup, 0 or 5 is all you want. No matter what oil you choose, they are all too viscous at cold start so why not go with something that is the least amount of "too viscous". I also decided I would go with a thinner 40 weight oil because I'm a believer that thicker is not necessarily better. Thinner = better flow and more heat carried away. Obviously there are limits to that train of thought since there needs to be that happy medium of just the right thickness to be optimal and that depends entirely on driving habbits. If someone was using their car as a short range commuter where the oil infrequently gets to operating temp all that often, a 0W30 might be best.

I'm interested to see how my oil analysis comes back and then to do another one once I change the oil again this time around. Guess I need to hurry up and put more miles on the car

Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I will most likley go with the Mobil 1 5w50 if Kevin at UMW recommends it for a Porsche approved oil...heck he sees these engines apart every day...