996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU flash should i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM
DaveMo is infamous around these partsDaveMo is infamous around these parts
I also went with EPL....wondering why I waited so long.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I also have the EPL with a Speedtech 3.0 exhaust. Great combination that has changed the car so much. Not only is the added HP and TQ amazing, but the driveability is so much better even at lower speeds and lower RPM. The throttle response was greatly improved with the flash, but even more significantly when I added the exhaust. I would do both!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 602996TT
Yes do it get the ECU upgrade you won't be disappointed. Get a good set of Diverter valves with your flash minimum. The stock units contain a rubber diaphragm in them that over time will tear, causing the valve to not function properly with extra boost. I run Softronic in my car, right away you will notice better response, power and boost!
Good point. I did replace the diverter valves at the same time as the flash (forgot about that).

Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Good point. I did replace the diverter valves at the same time as the flash (forgot about that).
I haven't done this yet. So far no issues.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I haven't done this yet. So far no issues.
It certainly wasn't described as "required" to me -- just recommended to prevent possible leakage (?) at higher boost pressures. The newer valves certainly looked sturdier than the OEM ones -- but they could be over designed for what they need to do as well.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Some guys have had to get a new clutch once they flashed their ECU, but I think it had more to do with doing burn-outs than from the flash. I have been tracking my car for 3 years with a flash and never had problems from my stock clutch, but I never do burnouts.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
Some guys have had to get a new clutch once they flashed their ECU, but I think it had more to do with doing burn-outs than from the flash. I have been tracking my car for 3 years with a flash and never had problems from my stock clutch, but I never do burnouts.
Same experience here. It's like saying you will need new tires with a flash.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:12 PM
JFC
JFC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I gotta replace the diverter valves as well with the flash.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by JFC
I gotta replace the diverter valves as well with the flash.
Are they failing? I have no leaks with a flash!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 AM
JFC
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Are they failing? I have no leaks with a flash!
No No, i mean i shall do it with the flash.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Unless you are opposed to a louder, sportier exhaust note, do the flash, DVs and exhaust all at once. This will transform your car and keep you happy for awhile. No driveability or reliability compromises but will make your car perform better and more fun to drive.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
The flash process fried my ECU....fortunately, FVD is good about customer service so they sent me a new one already programmed.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JFC
Hi Guys,

i just got my 996TT (Blk/Grey, Tiptronic, stock setting) couple wks ago. I go thru this forum for the ECU flash and so much positive feedbacks, are there any bads after flashing? I plan to keep my stock air-flow, exhaust at this moment. should i upgrade my ECU

thx so much!!!
wait until you are 100% used to the power you currently have, then do it...then you'll keep wanting more, its a sickness

Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Softronic, for sure. Scott sells you a cable and you get a copy of both files, stock, and modified. you can change them out at will, or as necessary, like when goin to the dealer or something.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
JFC
Still awaiting ......awaiting......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU flash should i?