996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch and Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
get a lwf you will see faster revs and lose a few lbs not to mention you get that great can of nuts sound

Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jayster
Sounds like the slave is hanging up, not giving full engagement right away. The whine is your release bearing, could be binding, also causing a slow release. Clutch slippage is usually noticeable first, in a higher gear...when on boost longer and generating sufficient torque to break an other wise good clutch loose. Not to say it wont in a lower gear, but seems to prevail in higher load situations first.

So how would I be able to figure out if the slave is the problem vs the clutch? I am pretty mechanically apt but I have not done much on this car, have always left it to the dealer to service etc. If we were talking about my boat or chevy truck I would have no problem ripping the transmission out. Thanks for the assistance!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by johnselli
Your power steering reservoir is likely going bad if you have an intermittent high pitched whine that goes away when you press in the clutch. There is a TSB for that to replace it with a newer part. A good clutch option is the Sachs stage 2 or Clutchmasters stage 3 (also uses Sachs parts). I have the Sachs stage 2 with the factory DM flywheel and its just like OEM except with much greater clamping ability. Lot of guys like the Clutchmasters.

John .. Thanks for the heads up. I searched the TSB on the power steering replacement didn't find anything. I searched in the forum as well and got hundreds of different directions. Can you possibly provide a bit more guidance or definition as to the problem on the whine?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Your in Wilmington, I am in Rocky Mount. Near 64 and 95. Give me a call and bring it by, we can figure it out from there.
Jay Putnam

Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned
Cpais has a spectacular aura aboutCpais has a spectacular aura aboutCpais has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tj Hunter
You can do a clutch with basic tools FYI, but I would have them show you what the flywheel looks like before just replacing it. Usually you can resurface them and they are good to go. I am thinking they are just being a typical stealership.
I wouldn't recommend anyone attempt a clutch on this car because they have basic hand tools, that's a ridiculous statement. I would like to see someone tackle the job in there garage with some hand tools they have.

Have you ever done a clutch in these cars? If you have and you are still advising people to that this clutch is easy to do with basic hand tools, I think you are steering the forum members in the wrong direction. If you havent done a clutch maybe you should keep your advice to yourself until you do.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Ditto on the "This is not a DIY clutch job"!!!