996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch and Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
reddswiss has a spectacular aura aboutreddswiss has a spectacular aura about
Clutch and Flywheel

My clutch is just starting to slip under boost in higher gears. My mechanic (Porsche Dealer) is telling me I need to replace the flywheel along with the clutch. Is this true? This seems like it would only be necessary in extreme situations.

I enjoy my car. This is my fifth Porsche. I am not able to work on my own cars here in Switzerland. since moving here I don't have a place to wrench. That and I only have basic tools here.

Thanks...

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Tj Hunter is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by reddswiss
My clutch is just starting to slip under boost in higher gears. My mechanic (Porsche Dealer) is telling me I need to replace the flywheel along with the clutch. Is this true? This seems like it would only be necessary in extreme situations.

I enjoy my car. This is my fifth Porsche. I am not able to work on my own cars here in Switzerland. since moving here I don't have a place to wrench. That and I only have basic tools here.

Thanks...
You can do a clutch with basic tools FYI, but I would have them show you what the flywheel looks like before just replacing it. Usually you can resurface them and they are good to go. I am thinking they are just being a typical stealership.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
The stock dual mass flywheel can not be cut. The stock disc is not the hard on the flywheel but if it is glazed it will slip again. It would be worth the 700-800$ for the new flywheel and the peace of mind that if they have to go back in there for any clutch issue it is all new and installed by them. My .02 cents as I see it..

Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
subscribe

Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
my mechanic advised replacing it while they were doing everything else, cost was approx 800.

i figured it was 800 for peace of mind rather than risk having to pull everything apart again to replace it

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
The stock dual mass flywheel can not be cut. The stock disc is not the hard on the flywheel but if it is glazed it will slip again. It would be worth the 700-800$ for the new flywheel and the peace of mind that if they have to go back in there for any clutch issue it is all new and installed by them. My .02 cents as I see it..
I love this forum, thanks for helping me learn new things . I have had single mass flywheels for the most part on all my cars, I see that they recommend replacing because of the membrane in the dual mass can wear out and possibly warp the flywheel.

Though here is a PDF from Sachs about DMF's

http://understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

Seems to depend on if you personally want the piece of mind or spend money.

Last edited by Tj Hunter; 05-19-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
My Porsche mechanic told me that my flywheel will need to be replaced when my clutch goes out. He told me that since we can hear a "dunk dunk dunk" sound (hard to describe the sound with words) right after you cut the ignition that that means the DM flywheel will need to be replaced. Not sure if anybody has heard any truth to that statement.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
My Porsche mechanic told me that my flywheel will need to be replaced when my clutch goes out. He told me that since we can hear a "dunk dunk dunk" sound (hard to describe the sound with words) right after you cut the ignition that that means the DM flywheel will need to be replaced. Not sure if anybody has heard any truth to that statement.
This is true. It rarely gets that bad though.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tj Hunter
I love this forum, thanks for helping me learn new things . I have had single mass flywheels for the most part on all my cars, I see that they recommend replacing because of the membrane in the dual mass can wear out and possibly warp the flywheel.

Though here is a PDF from Sachs about DMF's

http://understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

Seems to depend on if you personally want the piece of mind or spend money.
good link. The dual and single mass flywheels have steps in them the higher step is for the disc and the lower step is for the pressure plate to mount to. If you cut the high for the disic you need to remove the low the same amount or you will loose pre load and chance spinning the new disc too.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
This is true. It rarely gets that bad though.
Well mine now makes this noise when I shut the car down. Do you think this is an issue? My mechanic told me not to worry about it unless the clutch is slipping.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
good link. The dual and single mass flywheels have steps in them the higher step is for the disc and the lower step is for the pressure plate to mount to. If you cut the high for the disic you need to remove the low the same amount or you will loose pre load and chance spinning the new disc too.
Which makes sense why you can typically reuse for one clutch cycle. I would personally go with a LTW Single Mass, but I do not care about the LWF noise, both my E34 540iT/6 and my E39 M5 have SMF, the M5 chatters a little, I think its due to the trans oil, I have to change it, the PO used Redline, I use Royal Purple, never really cared for Redline.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Good occasion to go with a LWFW IMO.

Mine looked pretty shot when I took it out yesterday. Sligthly burned surface, a little loose (I had clunking noise on shut down too). The clutch itself looked not too bad wear-wise, but some Pentosin was leaking into the gearbox case from the slave rod and it ****ed up the friction material.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Good occasion to go with a LWFW IMO.

Mine looked pretty shot when I took it out yesterday. Sligthly burned surface, a little loose (I had clunking noise on shut down too). The clutch itself looked not too bad wear-wise, but some Pentosin was leaking into the gearbox case from the slave rod and it ****ed up the friction material.

Emanuel now is time to change your gearbox because of the Pentosin

Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rdss
Emanuel now is time to change your gearbox because of the Pentosin
Ahah!!You funny guy!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
964 rs

Get the "Sport Setup", 964 RS flywheel etc., Sold through FVD etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch and Flywheel