996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What makes the best shine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
Would t-cut be an alternative to clay? Or maybe clay, then tcut, then polish, then wax?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Would t-cut be an alternative to clay? Or maybe clay, then tcut, then polish, then wax?
what is t-cut?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
In uk we have tcut. Dont know if its a different name in usa. Its like polish but much more harsh, removes a fine layer

Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
In uk we have tcut. Dont know if its a different name in usa. Its like polish but much more harsh, removes a fine layer
that's the same as any cutting polish, gennerally for use with an orange pad with a random orbital (like a porter cable) ... I think such compounds are used with heavily oxidzed paint to cut thru that very top layer and bring back the color underneath by restoring the clearcoat under the oxidation or damaged top clearcoat surface.

In my estimate using a fine cut polish or an AIO type product with a gray rotary pad works fine for most applications (even light scratches or swirls)with a green or red finishing pad with sealant afterwords. On paint that is well cared for this is all you should really need.

I am not a pro...just a well informed hobbyist...doing this on my own car is fun but doing it on other peoples cars is work lol!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Same, not so well informed though, so if i use this tcut, then polish( i have mer polish ) then add wax ( i have auto glym hd wax with carnuba ). Will this give me the perfect shine?

Ps my car is silver

Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
don't use a cutting compound or abrasize unless you have to (like for heavily oxidized painted surfaces) .... for light scratches and swirls use a fine cut polish or AIO product (depending on the scratches on the surface) ...

wash, clay (only of needed), treat the paint (above info) with the right product...

then apply a sealent (longer term protection with nice shine)

or apply wax and skip sealent (more depth of shine but not as good protection)...

OR if you really want you can apply sealent then put on a final finishing coat of carnauba for a show quality finish with pretection, brilliant shine, and loads of depth

Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
So no polish, and use sealant before wax? Should i leave a time gap after sealant before applying wax? Thanks for all the good info guys

Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Boy, I've never clayed my cars before.
Can someone recommend of a company that does this in the Miami area ?
Thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
So no polish, and use sealant before wax? Should i leave a time gap after sealant before applying wax? Thanks for all the good info guys
mate, re-read my post...I don't know how I can be more clearer...

use a polish or AIO if needed (circumstances explained in my post - it depends on your paint starting off or after you've washed and clayed if needed)

use a sealent to protect

use a wax for depth of paint

use a sealant followed by a carnauba for protection brilliant shine, and depth...

Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
as you see... there are a lot of opinions as to the best products for waxing, cleaning, etc... I have 'obsessively' tested many on my porsche's and here is my 2cents.

- claying the car does help significantly
- paint prep (prior to wax) is "MOST" important regardless of the wax product you use...
- synthetic waxes will give a 'wetter' look but also has kind of a artificial shine look to it..
Zaino - is good, but a P.I.T.A to apply/remove.. etc.. too many steps

- carnuba waxes (I prefer!) give a silkier, cleaner, natural 'glow' to the paint.
I love Zymol wax.. there are way too many levels of their products... but my favorite for the money is "Concourse" the next levels I have tried which can run rediculously priced... but were not that much better... I love the look, feel and even smell of this wax!

speaking of Zymol... I would highly also reccomend their paint cleaner which is called HD Cleanse....

the steps of Zymol use are as follows:

CLAY>>>HD CLEANSE>>>>WAX

good luck!!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Mpsuk,

I would recommend that you use a clay bar as a first step to any detailing job.

Detailing clay bars clean paint below the surface. Some contaminants grip, even penetrate the clear coat. Detailing clay safely removes these contaminants from the paint and leaves your vehicle feeling slick and smooth. Claying your vehicle helps remove the following; overspray, brake dust, enviromental fallout, treesap mist and industrial pollution.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM
HD cleanse or any cleaner material is essentially the same step as an AIO or a fine cut polish/swirl/light scratch product.

Claying does exactly what Q8_TT said...it's for surface contaminents...it will not remove fine scratches and swirls in the clear coat...thats why you need to assess the paint first and foremost, prior to claying and if needed after claying to determine your level of polish to be applied...this should dictate the steps to take during the exterior detail. I generally like to give it 24 hrs between the AIO and the finishing sealent and/or carnauba steps to create the showroom shine after the protection is laid on with the sealent.