996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Diagnose my timeslips... yes, i suck.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
good tips. on these specific turbos , V.2 A28's, what is good ideal shift points to keep in strong pulling power range? or is 7k decent?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
You have to look /show your dyno sheet to be sure...But from what I have seen 7,000RPM should be close,,,IF ,,you shift ALL the gears at that speed ,,,,most of the time this holds true......You need to keep it in your gear recovery range,,,after you shift and the RPMs fall down/lower...1st to 2nd is the largest drop down in RPMS.....Unless you have a close ratio 1st which we do not.....I motor usually pulls faster after peak HP,, then going up to peak...So most guys go past peak HP when they shift ,so the RPMs stay in a higher range up the ladder>>acclerates quicker then if it dropped to the lower range of the powerband......Some guys really over rev 1st gear to keep it in the gear recovery range,,,,These are HP guys,non turbos and with our turbos it is a bit different because of our TQ>>>IF we can hook and use it...But theres a saying,TQ gets you out and HP keeps you going...You can only handle so much TQ before it comes unmanageable and then its tires,clutches,chassis axle problems to use it....Thats why you have to practice ,to find your sweet spot,,,IMO.....

Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
I'll have to get it on a dyno and check out the power band. Good tips tho. The key is to make the power manageable like u said. Gotta get it to the grOund. Gotta get practice in!

On a side note, based on what u guys have seen on my time slips, what could I expect for 60-130 times. I'm going to try to borrow a buddies this coming week.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy

On a side note, based on what u guys have seen on my time slips, what could I expect for 60-130 times. I'm going to try to borrow a buddies this coming week.
With craptane and summerish temps, I would say 7.5-9 sec.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
As temps climb with summer you might be improving with no noticeable result. Get yourself a notebook. The tracks should be able to supply air/track temps for each run. Barometric pressure is less important on a turbo. But intercooler temps are a big deal.

Jim