996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Diagnose my timeslips... yes, i suck.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Diagnose my timeslips... yes, i suck.

went to the strip awhile back. car was setup as i daily drive it. AWD, 19" Work wheels on PS2, 91 octane, 6spd with V.2 A28s, EVOMS/GIAC old gt700 tuning/fueling. stock headers, intake, TB. FVD inlet tubes, Milltek catless exhaust.

track prep was sub-par, temp was 80-87*, DA was 2800-3100. first time out with the 996, its alot different the my Audi was. but im just wondering what these times tell those of you more familiar with the 996TT, and what you could possibly see my times being. im not sure where theres more to be had, except obviously the 60 ft times. where would that put my trap speed? could i be in the 11's? felt like i couldnt grab the damn ground...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my timeslips are at home, im at work (nightshift, and bored... so i plotted everything in excel and saved as a pic.)

Last edited by FlyingGuy; 05-23-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
3 things
track temp, sixty foot, and 91 freakin' craptane

Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
19 inch tires don't do launches all that well.

Jim

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
You've got the mph to be in low 11s, just get that 60ft down and you'll be there. When you go to the track, try to swap your stock 18" wheels back on and launch the car within 2800-3500 rpm's...don't dump the clutch (slip it) and don't let the car bog.

See if you can source some 100 octane just for the track day, 5 gallons will do....

Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vntperformance
You've got the mph to be in low 11s, just get that 60ft down and you'll be there. When you go to the track, try to swap your stock 18" wheels back on and launch the car within 2800-3500 rpm's...don't dump the clutch (slip it) and don't let the car bog.

See if you can source some 100 octane just for the track day, 5 gallons will do....
so that is possibly a low 11 mph? all i have right now is my 19" WORKs, heavy and not ideal for track tires. i tried a few different launch techniques, but i had much to work on my first time out; launch, rowing through gears, keeping car straight...

i didnt feel like i shifted very fast at all, but im trying not to be too disappointed in my times. im sure the car has PLENTY more to give.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
so that is possibly a low 11 mph? all i have right now is my 19" WORKs, heavy and not ideal for track tires. i tried a few different launch techniques, but i had much to work on my first time out; launch, rowing through gears, keeping car straight...

i didnt feel like i shifted very fast at all, but im trying not to be too disappointed in my times. im sure the car has PLENTY more to give.
You def have the mph & mods for a low 11 sec pass; just about everything has to be perfect to make it happen though (launch, 60ft, shifting and DA). One thing I noticed about the 996TT is that it doesn't like you just dumping the clutch, or slamming gears. So shift fast, but don't slam em..and slip/feather the clutch on the launch. Try and get a set of used 996TT hollow spoke wheels off ebay, they can be had for about $700 w/tires, if you really look. You can expect the best times the very first time out....

Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Low 11's will be a tall order in those conditions on those tires. I wouldn't get your hopes up. With a 1.9 60' that is good enough for 11's in most conditions.

What I see though is that your trap speeds should be far more consistent. Are you spinning down the track? Hard to tell what the culprit is but your car makes some good power to trap 124 with all of those things working against it.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Low 11's will be a tall order in those conditions on those tires. I wouldn't get your hopes up. With a 1.9 60' that is good enough for 11's in most conditions.

What I see though is that your trap speeds should be far more consistent. Are you spinning down the track? Hard to tell what the culprit is but your car makes some good power to trap 124 with all of those things working against it.
the track prep was pretty crap. i felt like i was spinning at least part way through second. my trap of 111mph was the run that i went 1st...!!! 2nd...!!! 5th........ and just stayed in it.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Get the smallest diameter wheel possible. Then go shopping in "Mustang-land" for some street slicks in the drag racing variety. Do not get those that are meant for autocross or road coarse work. Your 18/19 typical street tire is meant to resist loss of traction in side force, not resist spinning on launches. This gives the typical street tire or street legal slick good G-Force resistance to side slipping and very little to spinning off the line. Going with the smallest possible diameter rim will let you use a tire with the tallest possible sidewall which will allow the sidewall to flex and keep the tread stuck to the road.

Also, don't forget to do the typical tire burn in to get some heat in the tires to let them be as sticky as possible. But the street tires you have aren't really going to respond to even that very well. Driving and dragging are two entirely different animals, tire wise.

Jim

Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 AM
PS: Test launching in 2nd gear at a bit higher RPM than 1st gear.

Jim

Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy

JSP is correct. There is very little side wall flex in the 19". Maybe good for the twisties but not very good from the dig on a strip. They just start spinning when you gas it. Get back to stock 18" they let the wheels rotate a bit before the tires dig in. Not sure if 17" will clear the brakes. Look at some vids of drag tire side walls at launch to see how much they twist. It's up to you (or your wallet) hope many 3,500rpm drops/slips from the dig you want to go through.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 05-23-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 AM
forgot to mention, but im still AWD, which messes with my tire choices due to OD matching front and rear. i narrowed some searches for when i get some 18's. my potions basically narrowed down to r888, NT-01, MT ET street II, and a bunch or road race tires..... no specific drag slicks, and the MT seemed to have softest sidewall.

didnt think about 2nd gear launching tho, new concept to me.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
there is no reason why 1.8-1.9 sixty foots cannot be had with 19s, i do 1.9s on the street on 19s RWD and AWD. They can, it just takes practice. its hard to judge the car in 85 degree weather with poor track prep and 3000 DA. do you have intercoolers, have you thought about meth?

personally i dont like going to the track in the heat just because when i have in the past it alwasy send me on a wild goose chase of problems that i dont actually have.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
i wish it wasnt as hot that day. but it was a private event, so we took what we could get. stock intercoolers, and water meth is gettin put on next week.

and practice is key, i just didnt have enough of it. but with my best 60' of 1.9, i did my best time, but only at 119mph...?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Do a tiptronic swap and you'll be in the 10's fo sho. That 6 speed is getting in your way.

I bet r888's will work for you on a set of hollow turbo twists. keep trying. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diagnose my timeslips... yes, i suck.