996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just ordered FVD straight pipes for 996tt :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
ra996tt is infamous around these parts
Just ordered FVD straight pipes for 996tt :) *Now with Video update*

Just placed an order for these quality pipes from FVD Rhonda. Very helpful and courteous service. I hope I will like the noise, from the videos on youtube and FVD it sounds MEAN at WOT and like a turbo diesel truck under vacuum. We will see how it goes

VIDEO UPDATE: http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/...792852231&ev=0

Last edited by ra996tt; 07-16-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Video update
Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
You will like them for sure and don't let the high volume on cold start up disconcert you, if you are retaining CATs then it only lasts a couple of minutes as the CATs warm up. Afterwards you will be surprised how quiet the car is with the straight pipes (and CATs) at idle. Mind you, WOT in your favorite tunnel (assuming there are tunnels where you live) will sound like a space shuttle launch

Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
No cats. Yea I can't wait 10 more days or so =\ Stock exhaust sounds like a hoover vacuum cleaner.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
spooling is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ra996tt
No cats. Yea I can't wait 10 more days or so =\ Stock exhaust sounds like a hoover vacuum cleaner.
I have the 997.1 turbo and think the exhaust sounds pretty bad as well. Im thinking about the agency power straight pipes with resonators. I hope they wont be too loud though. I still want to talk and listen to music in the car

Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by spooling
I have the 997.1 turbo and think the exhaust sounds pretty bad as well. Im thinking about the agency power straight pipes with resonators. I hope they wont be too loud though. I still want to talk and listen to music in the car
I'll take videos and post them up when I get them on the car. Hopefully that will help you in your decision.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I'll take videos and post them up when I get them on the car. Hopefully that will help you in your decision.
thank you. I think the 996 and 997 turbos sound similar right

Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
rossignol24 is infamous around these partsrossignol24 is infamous around these parts
Awesome! I should be getting my Fvd straight pipes this weekend in the mail I can't wait to put them on. The stock exhaust is boring hah

Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Please make a video and post them here ? I am dying of suspense

Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Please make a video and post them here ? I am dying of suspense
same! i can not find a really good video online that shows the car in a real world situation. I wonder what the drone will be like

Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by spooling
same! i can not find a really good video online that shows the car in a real world situation. I wonder what the drone will be like
I believe they have drone between 2600-3000 rpm but I don't know from personal experience. We shall see! I'm pumped.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Are you guys seeing a CEL with just straight pipes and cats? I am guessing it needs an ECU re-flash to run it without CEL issues, no?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
Are you guys seeing a CEL with just straight pipes and cats? I am guessing it needs an ECU re-flash to run it without CEL issues, no?
Tony told me he would have to tune out the rear 02's but that's about it. He also said turbos benefit the most from freer flowing exhaust Can't wait for my extra ponies as a side effect of epic noise

Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Tony told me he would have to tune out the rear 02's but that's about it. He also said turbos benefit the most from freer flowing exhaust Can't wait for my extra ponies as a side effect of epic noise
good deal that's what I thought as well...once the back 02's are tuned out figured any CEL would go away...great mod to do for a build when tuning is needed anyway to tie everything together.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
I put the Fabspeed straight pipes with race CATs on my car when it was completely stock. There was no CEL light or error code and there was a noticeable improvement in high RPM power. The straight pipes will drone at anything above 2500 RPM, although as I mentioned they are surprisingly quiet at idle.

If the wife/gf complains about the drone, just hold in the clutch when she wants to babble on about the latest gossip in the hair salon. I promise your mates won't mind the drone one bit.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Your the first person to give me a solid review on these things. Thank you! I was looking into a pair of agency power straight pipes with resonators. They don't have cats but do have resonators. Not sure what's a better option. So you like the sound better then stock for sure?

Originally Posted by drnano
I put the Fabspeed straight pipes with race CATs on my car when it was completely stock. There was no CEL light or error code and there was a noticeable improvement in high RPM power. The straight pipes will drone at anything above 2500 RPM, although as I mentioned they are surprisingly quiet at idle.

If the wife/gf complains about the drone, just hold in the clutch when she wants to babble on about the latest gossip in the hair salon. I promise your mates won't mind the drone one bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just ordered FVD straight pipes for 996tt :)